Ernst Truttschel is one of the well known and highly esteemed pioneer farmers of Sheboygan county and is also one of the veteran soldiers of the Civil war. He has lived retired since 1904, at which time he removed to the city of Sheboygan, where he maintains his residence at No. 1721 North Ninth street.
He was born on the 11th of February, 1832, in Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Germany, and is a son of Nicholas and Caroline (Linse) Truttschel, both of whom are natives of Germany. The father was by trade and occupation a cooper and after his marriage he successfully operated a hotel located on one of the main traveled roads in the district in which he lived. He emigrated to America in 1848 and settled on a farm in Sheboygan county. His first purchase of land in the new world consisted of twenty acres, on which he built a log house and engaged in the improvement and cultivation of his farm. He later added to his original purchase until be became the owner of one hundred and ninety acres of rich Sheboygan county land. He continued to be engaged in general farming upon that property until the time of his death, which occurred in September, 1878. The mother passed away in July, 1852.
Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Truttschel became the parents of six children: August, born in 1830, who was married and passed away in Plymouth leaving five children; Ernst, the subject of this review; Charles, of Sheboygan, who is married and has four children; Ferdinand, living on the old homestead with his son August, who is married and has five children; Lena, who is the wife of Fred Festerling; and Hulda, the wife of Joseph Hertig. The father and mother of this family were members of the German Lutheran church.
Ernst Truttschel was reared in his parents' home and received his education in the schools of his native land. He emigrated with his parents to America and during his life as a young man was engaged at work on his father's farm. In 1861 he started in life for himself as a farmer on fifty acres of land located in Mosel township. That property had been purchased by his father and was later acquired by the subject of this review. In 1865 he disposed of his fifty acres and purchased eighty acres located on section 34 and in 1867 he bought seventy acres more, which gave him in all a farm of one hundred and fifty acres. There he established his home and was continuously engaged in the cultivation of that property until 1902, at which time he sold the old home to his son Richard and in 1904 removed to Sheboygan city, where he has since lived a retired life in the enjoyment of a well earned rest.
In 1864 he became a soldier in the service of his adopted country. He was mustered into service in Company A, of the Sixth Wisconsin Regiment of Volunteer Infantry. His regiment was immediately sent to the front and on February 6 and 7, 1865, engaged in the battle of Hatchers Run. Later, on the 31st of March and April 1, 1865, he was in the battle of Five Forks. The old Sixth Wisconsin Regiment was one of the regiments belonging to the Iron Brigade of which General Edward S. Bragg, of Fond du Lac, was the last commander, and that brigade belonged to the Army of the Cumberland and was under the immediate command of General U.S. Grant. Mr. Truttschel was at Appomattox at the time of the surrender of Lee and later took part in the Grand Review at Washington at the close of the war.
Mr. Truttschel was united in marriage on the 18th of April, 1861, to Miss Wilhelmina Festerling, a daughter of Christian and Louisa Festerling, both of whom were natives of Herz, Prussia, and who emigrated to America in 1848, settling in Mosel township. The father died in 1903 and the mother in 1895. To Mr. and Mrs. Truttschel seven children have been born: Edith, who married Henry Kohrman, an employee of the American Manufacturing Company of Sheboygan, by whom she has one child; Albert and Gustave, twins; Louisa, deceased, who became the wife of Jacob Preuchel, also deceased, and had three children, who are living; Richard; George, of Milwaukee, who is an elevator inspector; and Mina, who is the wife of Frank Sommersberger, of Mosel township.
On the 18th of April, 1911, Mr. and Mrs. Truttschel celebrated their golden wedding and had the pleasure of entertaining all of the members of their immediate family as well as their grandchildren and great grandchildren. Mr. Truttschel served for two years as a member of the board of supervisors of his township. He is one of the well known and respected pioneer citizens of Sheboygan county and a man who through his long years of active service has been always interested in the welfare of the people of his county and state.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL