Charles Truttschel, who owns a hundred and sixty acres of highly improved and cultivated land on section 4, Lima township, is known as one of the most capable and enterprising agriculturists and dairymen of the county. He was born in Mosel township on the 6th of February, 1856, and is a son of August and Louisa (Schwartz) Truttschel, natives of Saxony, Germany, the father's birth having there occurred on the 12th of August, 1830, and that of the mother on August 14, 1835. The paternal grandfather, Nicholas Truttschel, emigrated to the United States with his wife and family, comprised of four sons and two daughters, in 1848. He came direct to Sheboygan county, and subsequently located on a farm on section 19, Mosel township, where the third generation of the family now lives. The further cultivation and improvement of his homestead engaged his energies during the remainder of his active life, and he passed away in Mosel in 1887, at the venerable age of eighty-five years.
August Truttschel, who was a youth of eighteen years when he accompanied his parents on their removal to America, also acquired land in Mosel township, where he engaged in farming until March, 1882. He then sold his place there and invested the proceeds in a large tract of land located on sections 4 and 9 of Lima township. He was a man of more than average diligence and sagacity and during the succeeding twenty years wrought extensive improvements in his farm, including the erection of a comfortable house, large barns and ample sheds and outbuildings to protect his stock and crops. He retired from active work in 1902 and removed to Plymouth, where he passed away on January 9, 1909, at the age of seventy-eight years.
The mother is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Christian Schwartz, also natives of Saxony, Germany, where Mrs. Schwartz passed away. The father with his two daughters, Louisa, Mrs. Truttschel, and Augusta, now Mrs. Henry Keppler, of Sheboygan, subsequently emigrated to America and located on a farm in Mosel township, during the pioneer days. There the daughter Louisa met and later married Mr. Truttschel, becoming the mother of the following children: Charles, our subject; Herman, who died in Lima township in December, 1911; Hulda, the wife of William Schroeder, of Plymouth; Ricke, who married G. A. Ahlprecht, of Plymouth; and Clara, the wife of Martin Bachanz, of Plymouth. Mrs. Truttschel, who enjoys excellent health for a woman of seventy-six years, now makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. Schroeder, of Plymouth.
The early years in the life of Charles Truttschel were very similar to those of other lads who were reared in the country at that period. He obtained his education in the district schools, and received his agricultural training under his father, with whom he worked until he was thirty-one. In 1887, he bought one hundred and sixty acres of the home farm in Lima township, and here he has ever since resided. During the period of his ownership, he has erected entirely new buildings on his place and has introduced various other improvements consistent with the progressive spirit that characterizes his undertakings generally. For the past twenty years he has specialized in dairying, which has proven to be very lucrative. He has a fine herd of registered Holstein cattle and owns a bull, Sir Rigtye of Pinehurst, said to be one of the finest animals of this breed in the county.
In Sheboygan on the 8th of February, 1887, Mr. Truttschel was married to Miss Christina Konrad, of Mosel township, and to them have been born three children: Otis and Edwin, who are at home; and Lena, who is attending high school at Sheboygan Falls.
The political allegiance of Mr. Truttschel is accorded the republican party, and for seventeen years he has been a school director in his district. He has always led a life of activity and business enterprise, and in the development of his individual interests has advanced those of the community at large, among the citizens of which he has many friends, who recognize in him a worthy representative of an honored pioneer family.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL