Ernst Schwalbe, a progressive and enterprising farmer, owns a valuable tract of land of one hundred and sixty acres, located on section 2, Lyndon township. Mr. Schwalbe was born in Buffalo, New York, February 8, 1850, a son of Michael and Fredericka (Dane) Schwalbe, natives of Prussia, Germany, the former born in 1806. He lived to be eighty years of age, passing away in 1886. The father emigrated to America, in 1850, first locating in Buffalo, New York, where he remained for two years. In 1852 he continued his journey westward, locating in Sheboygan Falls township in Sheboygan county, where he purchased forty acres of land, which was covered with timber. He cleared the land and developed a farm, making it his place of abode until he retired, subsequently making his home with his son in Lyndon township until the date of his death.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Michael Schwalbe were born the following children: Louisa, who became the wife of William Kleinhans, of Herman township, but is now deceased; Frederick, who served in the Civil war as a member of the Third Michigan Cavalry and died of wounds received in the battle of Gettysburg; Minnie, the widow of Helmuth Kohsow, of Lyndon township; Michael, who made his home in Butler county, Kansas, but is now deceased; William, who died in Hartford, Wisconsin; Augusta, the widow of William Piper, of Cedar county, Iowa; Emstena, the deceased wife of Chris Glenzer, of Manitowoc, Wisconsin; Ernst, of this review; and Annie, the wife of Otto Oetling, residing near Millersville in Herman township.
Ernst Schwalbe, whose name introduces this record, acquired a limited education in the public schools and at an early age started out to make his own way in the world by working out by the month. He was thus engaged until twenty years of age, when he went to California and was there employed at farm labor. In 1874 he returned to Iowa and was there similarly employed for two years. In 1876 he came to Sheboygan county and for one year cultivated a part of the home farm on his own account. Two years later, in 1878, he purchased land on section 36, Plymouth township, but in 1880 disposed of his holdings here and moved to Butler county, Kansas, there purchasing a farm, which he cultivated three and a half years.
In 1883, however, he once more returned to Sheboygan county and purchased a tract of one hundred and sixty acres lying on section 2, Lyndon township, which he has since made his home. This tract was partially cleared when it came into his possession and he at once went to work to clear the remainder of the land and also erected good and substantial buildings. In the years that have since passed he has continued to improve his place and today occupies one of the model farms of this section of the county. He gives most of his time to dairy fanning and raises good grades of Holstein and Durham cattle.
It was in 1878 that Mr. Schwalbe was united in marriage to Miss Barbara Kaestner, a daughter of John and Phillipina (Stites) Kaestner. Mr. Kaestner was born in Saxony, Germany, and emigrated to the new world in 1848, at which time he located in Sheboygan Falls township, Sheboygan county. In his last years he lived retired in Plymouth and it was there that his death occurred. His family numbered seven children, of whom Mrs. Schwalbe was the eldest. By her marriage Mrs. Schwalbe became the mother of two sons and four daughters, namely: Alvina, the wife of George Hoffman, a resident of Lima township; Frances, the wife of Ben Boedeker, of Waukesha, Wisconsin; Helmuth, who makes his home in Escanaba, Michigan; and Viola, Velma and Lester, all at home. On April 17, 1898, the family was called upon to mourn the loss of the wife and mother.
Mr. Schwalbe and his children are members of the Lutheran church and they are held in the highest esteem and respect by all with whom they are associated.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL