Henry Herman, of the firm of Herman Brothers, milk dealers, located at No. 1429 South Ninth street, has been engaged in business in Sheboygan for nine years, and during that time has made orderly progress in the development of a successful career and is numbered among the enterprising and promising young men of the community.
He was born in Sheboygan county on May 17, 1879, and is a son of John and Caroline (Femmel) Herman. The father came to this county from Indianapolis, Indiana, in 1855, and acquired a tract of wooded land in the vicinity of Sheboygan Falls. He diligently set about clearing his farm and placing it under cultivation, giving his undivided attention to the tilling of his fields and the care of the crops until the breaking out of the Civil war.
As he is a very patriotic man he then laid aside all personal considerations and offered his services in defense of the Union, enlisting in Company E, Twenty-seventh Wisconsin Infantry. He participated in many notable conflicts, saw his comrades shot down all around him and he was once wounded himself. Upon receiving his honorable discharge he returned to Wisconsin and resumed the duties of civil life on the farm, continuing to engage in agricultural pursuits until age compelled him to withdraw from active work. He is now living retired in Sheboygan Falls, but the mother is deceased, her death having occurred in February, 1904, at the age of fifty-seven years. She is buried in the family lot in Wildwood cemetery.
Reared on the farm where he was born, Henry Herman pursued his education in the district schools until he was a lad of twelve years. Although he was little more than a child he then started out to make his own way in the world and for six years thereafter worked for the neighboring farmers. At the expiration of that time he came to Sheboygan and took a position as driver with Dr. Zeiss. Eighteen months later he left his service and went to work for his brother Val, who was conducting a milk depot at the stand now occupied by Herman Brothers. Four and a half years later he became a partner in the business, together with his brother Conrad, the association continuing until 1910, when Val sold his interest to the other brothers. As the young men are very industrious and conduct their business according to the highest standards of commercial integrity, they have won the esteem and confidence of the community and are accorded an excellent patronage.
On the 25th of March, 1903, Mr. Herman was united in marriage to Miss Jessie De Smidt, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William De Smidt, natives of Holland and pioneer farming people of Sheboygan county. They reside at No. 1435 South Ninth street, where Mr. Herman erected a very pleasant modern house in 1902.
Mr. and Mrs. Herman are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and he is affiliated with the Sons of Veterans. In politics he is a republican and gives his stanch support to the principles of that party, which he feels are best adapted to subserve the interests of the people. Mr. Herman is a young man deserving of the highest commendation for his achievements, as he started out in life for himself when little more than a child and has through his own thrift and diligence attained the position he occupies in the business world today.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL