John H. Harder, successfully engaged in the pursuit of dairy farming, is the owner of a well improved farm of one hundred and twenty acres on section II, Lyndon township. His birth occurred in Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany, on the 18th of September, 1869, his parents being Ludwig and Sophia (Witt) Harder. The father was born on the 20th of October, 1837, while the mother's birth occurred December 28, 1834. Ludwig Harder emigrated to America with his family in 1884, coming direct from Hamburg to Plymouth, Wisconsin, where he worked by the month for two years.
In 1886 he purchased forty acres of land on section 24, Greenbush township, where he spent the remainder of his life, passing away on the 29th of April, 18g1. His wife, surviving him for a number of years, was called to her final rest on the 28th of May, 1908. They had two children, namely: Mary, who is the wife of John Fryer and resides in Plymouth, Wisconsin; and John H., of this review.
The latter, who obtained his education in the public schools of his native land, was a youth of fifteen when he accompanied his parents on their emigration to the new world. After the family home had been established in Sheboygan county he secured employment by the month as a farm hand and continued to be thus engaged until he had attained his majority.
When twenty-one years of age he purchased forty acres of the home farm on section 24, Greenbush township, where he was busily engaged in agricultural pursuits for a period of ten years or until 1900, when he disposed of the property and bought the farm of one hundred and twenty acres on section II, Lyndon township, which has since remained in his possession. In the way of improvements he has remodeled the house and has also erected a barn and other outbuildings. He makes a specialty of dairy farming and keeps full blooded and graded Holstein cattle, raising sufficient stock to replenish his herd. The success which he today enjoys as an agriculturist is well deserved, for it has come to him through his own honorable effort, careful management and well directed labor.
In 1899 Mr. Harder was united in marriage to Miss Ida Miller, who was born on the 13th of April, 1874, her parents being John and Sophia (Bonesack) Miller, both natives of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany. Their marriage, however, was celebrated in this country in 1866. In 1865 John Miller crossed the Atlantic to the United States, locating in Plymouth township, Sheboygan county, where he worked by the month until the next year. In that year he removed to Greenbush township and purchased a tract of forty acres, which he subsequently sold prior to his removal to Schleswig, Manitowoc county.
About 1880 he went to Fargo, North Dakota, and took up a homestead, residing thereon until 1891, when he returned to Plymouth township, this county. There he purchased a farm of one hundred and sixty acres and later bought a tract of eight acres a half-mile east of Plymouth.
After putting aside the active work of the fields he spent some time in honorable retirement at Plymouth, Wisconsin, and is now living with his son Otto in Plymouth township at the age of seventy-two years. His children are five in number, as follows: William and August, both of whom are residents of Lyndon township; Mrs. Ida Harder Alvina, the wife of William Warner, of Lyndon township; and Otto, who is a resident of Plymouth township. Mr. and Mrs. Harder have five children, Irving, Carl, Edgar, Herbert and Cora.
Mr. Harder gives his political allegiance to the republican party and is now serving as supervisor of Lyndon township. He has also served as school directo for a period of six years, the cuase of education ever finding in him a stanch champion. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Lutheran church, to which his wife also belongs. He is interested in all that pertains to the county's welfare and upbuilding and his cooperation is given to many measures calculated to promote the material, political and moral interests of the community.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL