John Gangelbauer is the owner of sixty acres of land located on sections 8 and 9 Wilson township, where he engages in general and dairy farming. He is a native of Wilson township, his birth having occurred on the old family homestead, located on section 9, a portion of which he now owns.
His father, Martin Gangelbauer, was born in Austria, in 1810, and there passed the early years of his life. He subsequently emigrated to the United States, coming direct to Sheboygan county. Here he purchased twenty acres of land located on section 9, and devoted his entire time and attention to its improvement and cultivation during the remainder of his active life, his death occurring in 1889, at the age of seventy-nine years. He married Josepha Meierhofer, with whom he had crossed the Atlantic, soon after their arrival in this country, and to them were born three children, our subject being the eldest and the only son. The elder daughter, Mary, married Joseph Balin of Calvary, Wisconsin, and Sophia became the wife of Ferdinand Rader, and is living in California. The mother is also deceased, having passed away in 1892, soon after reaching the age of sixty-eight years.
John Gangelbauer was reared on the farm where he was born, obtaining his education in the district schools of Wilson township and the parochial school of St. George's parish, which he attended until he was confirmed at the age of twelve years. Immediately thereafter he started out to make his own way in the world, and for two years worked as a farm hand. At the end of that time he went to Sheboygan to learn the carpenter's trade, which he followed in that city for five years. During that period he bought ten acres of the old homestead and following the death of his father returned and took possession of the property, the remainder of which he had acquired shortly prior to this. He has ever since devoted his attention to general farming and dairying and has met with very good success in both. About 1904 he bought fifty acres of land located on section 8, just across the road from his farm, and soon thereafter he sold ten acres of the old homestead, including the buildings, and erected a house on his new place and also made such other improvements as were necessary and has ever since made this his home.
In this township on the 1st of June, 1886, Mr. Gangelbauer was married to Miss Anna Meierhofer, a daughter of Sebastian Meierhofer, natives of Germany, who located on a farm in the vicinity of Kaukauna. Mr. and Mrs. Gangelbauer have two children, Joseph and Franziska, both of whom are at home.
The family are members of the German Catholic church of Wilson township and his political allegiance Mr. Gangelbauer gives to the democratic party, but has never held a public office. He has always been a hard-working, diligent man and is highly respected in his community, where he has many friends.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL