Walter J. Gallon is manager of the Citizensn TelephonenCompanynand his endeavornto give prompt and efficient service, combined with a spirit of enterprise and indefatigable industry, has gained him recognition as one of the valued and representative business men of Sheboygan. He has resided here only since 1908 but within this period has gained the warm regard and good will of his fellow townsmen. He claims England as the land of his birth, which occurred at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, July 31, 1873. His parents were John and Eliza Gallon, both of whom passed away in England and were laid to rest in Gateshead. The family is an old one of England and John Gallon became widely known as department general manager of the Northeastern Railroad of that country.
Walter J. Gallon pursued his education in the parochial schools of his native country and in a nigh school, from which he was graduated when nineteen years of age. He afterward became a pupil in a technical training college, continuing his studies intermittently with work for his father. He left England to come to the United States in 1896, landing at New York, whence he made his way to Peterson, Iowa, where he visited for four months. It was his intention to become actively engaged in farming in that locality, but, changing his plans, he retraced his steps as far as Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he was employed in various ways prior to 1898, when he entered the service of the Wisconsin Telephone Company. He has since been engaged in this business, spending much of the time in the installation of telephone systems, until he was made manager at Janesville, Wisconsin. Afterward he was chief inspector at Dixon, Illinois and was also chief contract agent at Milwaukee. He was then appointed to his present position as manager of the Citizens Telephone Company at Sheboygan.
Previous experience and long training in the telephone field well qualify him for the responsibilities that now devolve upon him. He has made a study of the demands of the public regarding telephone service and is putting forth every effort in his power to give the patrons of the line all that is required. The business of the office is carefully systematized, the work promptly dispatched and Mr. Gallon's duties are performed alike satisfactorily to the company and to the general public.
On the 10th of November, 1909, Mr. Gallon was married, in Madison, Wisconsin, to Miss Clara Lea, a daughter of T. H. and Thea Lea, the former a carpenter contractor of Madison, Wisconsin, Mr. and Mrs. Gallon reside at No. 1331 North Fifth street and have gained many friends during the period of their residence here. Mr. Gallon is a republican in his political views and fraternally is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is actuated by a spirit of progress in all that he does and in all the relations of life and while seeking individual success he also cooperates in movements pertaining to the welfare and progress of the community.
William Herman is engaged in general farming and dairying three and a half miles north of Sheboygan, where he owns one hundred and eighty acres of well cultivated land, located in Sheboygan township. He is a native of this county, his birth having occurred in the township where he now resides on June 3, 1877, and is a son of John and Caroline (Femmel) Herman. The parents are Americans, the father having been born in Indiana and the mother in Sheboygan county, where they were married in September, 1864. Five days later the father enlisted and went to the front, remaining in the service for about ten months. He was mustered out at Clarksville, Texas, and returned to Sheboygan on the 14th of July, 1865. Three years later, in 1868, he bought twenty acres of timber land, which he cleared and placed under cultivation as he was able, and in connection with the tilling of his fields worked on the railroad and also followed the carpenter's trade, having erected many buildings for the farmers of his community during the pioneer period.
When he first removed to his farm, Mr. Herman put up a crude log cabin, in which he and his family lived for twenty years, but at the end of that time he erected a more commodious and modern residence. Our subject is the seventh in order of birth in a famil of twelve, the other members being as follows: Anna, who passed away on the 11th of February, 1902, the deceased wife of August Horn of Sheboygan township; John, who resides in the state of Washington; Louis, who is married and is residing in Sheboygan; George, of Sheboygan; Valentine, who is married and living in Sheboygan; Lena, the wife of Lewis Schellar, of Marshfield, Wisconsin; Henry, who is married and residing in Sheboygan; Emma, the wife of William Grumbow, of Stratford, Wisconsin; Paul, who is married and living in Sheboygan; Conrad, also married, of Sheboygan; and one who died in infancy. The mother passed away on the old homestead on the 5th of January, 1904, and the same year the father sold his farm to one of his sons and has ever since resided with his brother-in-law, Charles Karskarnp, in Sheboygan Falls. He is a member of the Sheboygan Falls Post, No. 12, of the G. A. R.
William Herman was reared at home and educated in the common schools of this county. He early became familiar with the work and duties of an. agriculturist and has always devoted his energies to this vocation. His efforts have been well rewarded and he now owns a hundred and eighty acres of fertile land, where he engages in both general farming and stock-raising but is making a specialty of dairying. He is an enterprising man, and sedulously applies himself to anything he undertakes, directing his activities in a practical and systematic manner.
On the 15th of June, 1899, Mr. Herman was married to Clara Meyer, a daughter of Leonard and Catherine Meyer, natives of Germany. Leonard Meyer resided in St. Louis, Missouri, when he heard the call that electrified the world, irresistibly beckoning human beings from the four quarters of the earth to come to the latest El Dorado, and old and young, venturesome and timid, listened to that call full of marvelous tidings of unheard treasure, hidden in California's virgin land. These prospects for sudden riches held out by the Golden state induced him to join the crowds which sought the favored land of the Pacific coast and in 1849 he set forth toward the westering sun with meager means but determined to reach the goal, making almost all of the way on foot. For twenty years he courted the elusive goddess Fortune to win her favors.
In California he founded his home and built his hearth, and with his wife lived in Sacramento. Varied were his experiences: he witnessed a great flood which was occasioned by the breaking of a dam which destroyed life and property and he underwent the terrors of the earthquake, ever threatening, ever feared. After two decades he came to Sheboygan and, being a man of musical tastes and accomplishments, he here engaged successfully as a music teacher. Greatly esteemed, respected, honored and beloved, he passed away in 1909. The mother is still living, residing in Sheboygan, where she makes her home with her son-in-law William, the subject of this sketch.
Mr. and Mrs. Herman had seven children, Chester, Florence, Allen, Cora, Harold and Isabel. Raymond, who was the fifth in order of birth, died at the age of fifteen months. The family attend the services of the Evangelical church, in which the parents hold membership. Mr. Herman is an enterprising man of laudable ambition whose honorable and upright conduct have enabled him to win and retain the respect and esteem of the community.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL