Isaac De Munck

One of the well known merchants of Plymouth is Isaac De Munck, whose ancestors, originally from Holland, settled in Sheboygan county at an early date and there became honored citizens of the community. He was born March 4, 1875, at Oostburg, Sheboygan county, the son of Isaac and Mary (Back) De Munck, the former of whom was born in 1833 and the latter in 1854. The grandfather, Isaac De Munck, came from the Netherlands, in 1839, coming direct to Sheboygan county, where he purchased the land where now stands the town of Oostburg. He cleared and improved his land and resided upon it until about 1880, when he disposed of the property and removed to Plymouth township on a farm which he purchased four miles west of Plymouth, and there he continued to reside until the time of his death, in 1892.

The father grew to manhood in Oostburg, Wisconsin, working on his father's farm and attending school. In 1876 he removed with the family to Plymouth township, four miles west of Plymouth. In 1890 he sold this farm and bought another near by, which still remains in possession of the family, the mother having established her home upon the place. The father passed away in 1901. In his family were ten children: Minnie, the wife of P. W. Dillman, of Sheboygan county; Jennie, at home with her mother; Nellie, who passed away at the age of eleven years; Isaac, of this review; Peter, who passed away at the age of twenty-nine years; Susan, who died at the age of eight years; William, who operates the home farm; Abraham, residing in Plymouth; Mary, the wife of Alfred Titel, who is engaged in farming one and one-half miles west of Plymouth; and Anna, who resides in Sheboygan county.

Isaac De Munck after receiving his primary education in the public schools of Plymouth township, attended Greenbush high school, and after laying aside his text-books he took up the business of cheese making, at which he worked for four seasons. He then entered the general mercantile store of W. C. Seamann about 1890 and remained in that establishment as a clerk until 1894, when he entered the employ of H. J. Goelzer, in whose service he continued until 1896. In that year he became connected with the general mercantile establishment of J. C. Kiefer and later clerked in the store of Harrington and Company until that firm's retirement from business, subsequently entering the employ of Behnke, Distelhorst and Eberhardt, dealers in general merchandise. In 1905 Mr. De Munck embarked in business on his own account, forming a partnership with Miss Emma Kenper. This firm originally began business opposite the post office building but in 1909 purchased the Leader Store and moved the business to its present location at Smith and Mill streets. The concern carries a complete line of general merchandise and the business is a very satisfactory one.

In 1900 Mr. De Munck was united in marriage to Miss Ida Pfrang, a daughter of Edward and Josephine (Griese) Pfrang, natives of Germany. The father was an early settler of Plymouth township and had a large number of acquaintances among the older residents of the community. To Mr. and Mrs. De Munck have been born three children, Margaret, Merlin and Gordon.

Mr. De Munck holds membership in the National Fraternal League and the Equitable Fraternal Union. The family are attendants upon the services of the Congregational church and assist materially by their influence in making that denomination an effective force for good in the community. Mr. De Munck has long been regarded as one of the leading citizens of Plymouth, where his business has grown steadily since its establishment. He looks carefully after the wants of his customers and by honest dealing and up-to-date methods the store has become popular and remunerative to its proprietors. The De Munck family is one of the most estimable and respected in the entire community and its members are greatly esteemed wherever known.


Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL