Henry H. Walter is the well known proprietor of the entertainment ground known as Old Tollgate Park. This property consists of two and a half acres, upon which a number of buildings have been erected for the purpose of dancing and bowling, a cafe and other accessory structures and improvements required in the equipment of a first-class place of entertainment. Mr. Walter was born in Sheboygan county in December, 1875, a son of Henry and Caroline (Kunz) Walter. The father, a native of Saxony, Germany, emigrated to the United States with his parents when he was but eight years of age. He obtained his education in the public schools and at the age of sixteen became an employee of the Northwestern Railway Company, in whose service he remained for a number of years.
At the outbreak of the Civil war he was among the early volunteers who responded to Lincoln's call for seventy-five thousand men. He enlisted in 1861, in the Twenty-seventh Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, serving through the entire war and receiving an honorable discharge from the service of the government in 1865. Returning from the war he purchased a farm on the Upper Falls road, where he established his home and continued in its development until meeting with his death, which came to him as a result of a collision with a passing street car while driving from his front yard, which necessitated crossing of the tracks of the street railway. This unfortunate accident occurred on the 1st of August, 1910.
In the year 1872, in Chicago, he was married to Miss Caroline Kunz, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Kunz, both natives of Germany, who emigrated to America and settled in Sheboygan at a very early date in the history of this county. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Henry Walter were born fourteen children, seven of whom survive, as follows: William, who. lives in Milwaukee and is married and has three children: Henry H., of this review; Otto, who lives at the old home; Edward, who makes his home in Milwaukee and is married and has three children; Herman, who lives at home; Alfred, who is married and lives on the old homestead; and Lillian, who is also at home.
Henry H. Walter was reared in the home of his parents and received his education in the public schools of this county. At the age of sixteen he obtained employment in the factories of Sheboygan and upon retiring from this occupation he engaged in farming and took up in addition to his agricultural pursuits grain threshing. He continued in this business for a period of ten years, after which time he purchased the place known as the Old Tollgate Park, which he now owns and upon which he makes his residence.
On the 14th of September, 1902, Mr. Walter was married to Miss Alma Brickner, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Brickner, of Sheboygan Falls, both of whom were natives of Germany and who emigrated to this country in the early period of the history of Sheboygan county. To Mr. and Mrs. Walter four children, Stella, Clarence, Harry and Elroy, have been born. Mr. Walter is a member of the Germania Society of Sheboygan. He is a man who pays strict attention to his business affairs and by the practice of industry and economy he has acquired the means with which he established himself in an independent and prosperous business. His interest in the political and business affairs of his community is always in evidence when his influence can aid in the success of any legitimate enterprise looking to the advancement of the people.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL