William R. Veldboom is one of the successful and enterprising farmers of Sheboygan county, his farm being located on section 32, Wilson township. He was born in Cedar Grove, Holland township, November 30, 1871, and is the son of J. H. Roerdink and Janna (Ros) Veldboom, both of whom were natives of Holland, born on September, 1841, and on July 11, 1839, respectively.
Mr. and Mrs. Veldboom were united in marriage in their native land and emigrated to America in 1868 and settled in Holland township. For some years Mr. Veldboom was employed as a laborer and later he purchased a farm in Lima township, two and one half miles northwest of Gibbsville, where he established his home and continued to live until the time of his death which occurred at the age of forty-four. The demise of his wife occurred in Lima township, November 24, 1894. They were both active and influential members of the Dutch Reform church of Gibbsville and to them eight children were born, five of whom are still living: William, who is the subject of this review; Minnie, who is the wife of Peter W. Daane, of Fairwater, this state; Gerrit, who was born in Lima township, April 22, 1877, and was united in marriage to Miss Jennie Vervelde, and to them one son has been born, who is now three years of age; John, who resides in Hingham, Lima township; and Henry, born April 18, 1881, who was united in wedlock to Miss Elizabeth Klumpenhauer, and to them three children have been born, Herbert, Ida and Alice.
William R. Veldboom was reared in his father's home and educated in the public schools of Gibbsville. He was engaged in work on his father's farm until he was eighteen years of age and at that time he learned the carpenter's trade, in which occupation he has since continued to be engaged. He is also a stone mason and in addition to his business as a carpenter and builder is engaged in the business of moving buildings and in the conduct of general farming. In 1896 he purchased a farm of forty acres in Lima township near Gibbsville upon which he established his home the following spring and where he continued to reside for three years.
In 1900 he sold that property and removed to Wilson township where he purchased twenty acres of land on section 32, where he now resides. At the time when he purchased that property no building improvements of any kind had been made upon it. He has since moved a large barn upon the property and has also erected a new and comfortable dwelling house in which he now resides.
Mr. Veldboom was united in marriage on December 16, 1896, in Wilson township, on the Hartman homestead, to Miss Cena Hartman, a daughter of Derrick J. Hartman, of whom a more extended review is published in another part of this work. Mr. Veldboom is affiliated with the republican party and he and his wife are active members of the Christian Reform church of Oostburg, of which he has for several years served in the office of deacon. Mrs. Veldboom has always been very active in church work and for many years has been a teacher in the Sunday school. Mr. Veldboom is an enterprising and successful and highly respected citizen of Wilson township and his influence and assistance are always to be relied upon in the advancement of any measure seeking the betterment of mankind.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL