Edwin W. Tupper, who is successfully engaged in dairying in Lima township, is descended from one of Sheboygan's well known pioneer families, his people having located here more than sixty years ago. He was born on the farm where he now resides on the 13th of June, 1872, and is a son of Aretus and Cornelia (Richmond) Tupper. The father's birth occurred in a log cabin on the farm in Lima township, now owned by our subject, on November 29, 1847. He shared with his family the hardships and privations of pioneer life, his education being limited to the meager advantages afforded by the district schools of that period. He remained at home and worked for his father until after he was thirty years of age when he was given a portion of the old homestead. Later he increased his holdings by the purchase of another sixty acres from his father, which he cultivated until 1889. In the latter year he rented his farm and removed to Sheboygan Falls, where he accepted a position as traveling salesman for the Dillingham Manufacturing Company, his territory covering a large portion of the western and central states. He continued in their employ for fifteen years, but in 1907 he resigned his position and has ever since been devoting his entire time to his real-estate holdings.
He owns one of the most attractive residence properties in Sheboygan, which he purchased when he retired from business. It is located on the interurban car line, just without the city limits, in one of the most desirable residence sections. The house has been redecorated and equipped wit thoroughly modern appointments during the period of his ownership, and he has also made extensive improvements in the grounds, which are attractively laid out and well kept. He owns several fine horses, among them Crane, a registered French coach horse, of wide local repute. In Sheboygan on the 4th of July, 1868, Mr. Tupper was married to Miss Cornelia Richmond, of Lyndon township, who passed away on July 26, 1887. They became the parents of two children, the younger of whom, Alma, is the wife of William Sloan of Sheboygan. On the 9th of December, 1888, in Chicago, Illinois, Mr. Tupper married Miss Ella Tupper, who passed away on July 30, 1911. His political support he formerly accorded to the democratic party, but he has recently transferred his allegiance to the progressive republicans.
The early years in the life of Edwin W. Tupper were passed on the farm where he was born. At the usual age he began his education in the district schools of Lima township, and continued it through the high school of Sheboygan Falls, following which he pursued a general business course in Patton's business College of Sheboygan. He was qualified through his early training for the work of an agriculturist, and upon attaining his majority he rented one-half of the old homestead which he farmed for ten years. At the expiration of that period, in 1902, he purchased the property, which is comprised of eighty acres located on section 5, Lima township, and here he is engaging in dairying and stock-raising.
Within the past two years he has made some extensive improvements in his place, including the erection of a new house, which upon completion will be provided with heating, water and lighting systems. He has also built a large, commodious barn in the new basement style, which is piped for water and equipped with many modern appliances and conveniences. He has ample accommodations for twenty head of cattle and other stock, as well as for his hay and grain. Mr. Tupper is very progressive and directs his undertakings in accordance with modern methods. He keeps a high grade of stock, and in the tilling of his fields he exercises the careful supervision and oversight that result in abundant harvests.
At Plymouth, this county, on the 24th of December, 1895, he was married to Miss Clara Krahn, a daughter of Herman and Lena (Wenzel) Krahn, the father a well known farmer of Scott township, and to them have been born three daughters: Reta M., who is twelve years of age; Abner, who is nine; and Glendora, who was born on the 17th of March, 1911.
The political allegiance of Mr. Tupper is accorded the republican party. He is public-spirited in matters of citizenship and takes an active interest in all local affairs, cooperating in every movement that he feels will forward the interests of the community or promote the development of its public utilities.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL