H. W. Trester, who for the past eight years has been deputy collector of internal revenue, is widely known in Sheboygan, where he was long identified with the clothing trade, having continued the business established by his father, one of the city's pioneer business men. He was born in Milwaukee, this state, on the 16th of February, 1857, and is a son of Adam and Anna Trester. The father was born in Coblenz, Rhine Province, Germany, whence he emigrated to the United States in 1852, locating on a farm in Ozaukee county, this state, with his brother Hubert. He only remained there for a short period, and then came to Sheboygan, following which he lived in various other places in the state, finally locating in Milwaukee. He remained there until 1858, when together with his family he removed to Sheboygan, where he had been married, and engaged in the clothing business. His was one of the first stores of the kind to be established in the city and was successfully conducted under his management until his death in December, 1889. He was survived by the mother, who passed away in January, 1891, and was laid to rest beside her husband in the North Side Catholic cemetery.
The paternal grandfather, Franz Joseph Trester, is buried in the same cemetery, but the grandmother was interred in a Catholic cemetery at Milwaukee, in which city she died. Mr. Trester was a stanch democrat in his political views and represented his ward in the city council for several terms, being known as one of the enterprising and progressive citizens of the community.
In the acquirement of his education H. W. Trester attended the parochial school of Holy Name parish until he was a lad of twelve years. He then laid aside his text-books and began to learn the tailor's trade under the supervision of his father, with whom he was associated in business until the latter's death. He subsequently assumed management of the store, which was then one of the largest enterprises of the kind in the city, and conducted it alone until 1890. In the latter year he organized a stock company and continued operations under the firm name of A. Trester Sons Company until 1904, when he withdrew from commercial activities to enter upon the duties of his present office.
In this city on the 18th of August, 1878, Mr. Trester was united in marriage to Miss Katie P. Hammes, a daughter of Anton and Katherine Hammes. The father, who was a pioneer grain buyer of Sheboygan, is now deceased, but the mother is still living at the venerable age of eighty-four years. Nine children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Trester, as follows: Katie, the wife of George Myers, of the Myers Machine Company; J. Henry, who has charge of the Philadelphia office of The Crocker Chair Company; Eugene, whose death occurred on the 12th of July, 1911; Anthony M., a civil engineer of Madison, Wisconsin, who is superintending the construction of the dam at Prairie du Sac, this state; Raymond, who died in infancy; Walter A., secretary and treasurer of The Green Bay Cold Storage Company; Eleanor, who has been living at home since 'graduating from school; Verena, who is a graduate of the high school; and Armella, who is a high-school student. The family home is located at 714 Michigan avenue, where Mr. Trester erected a very pleasant and comfortable residence.
The family are communicants of the Roman Catholic church, and fraternally Mr. Trester is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus, and was formerly grand knight of the local order, and the Catholic Order of Foresters. He is also a member of the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin and was formerly captain of the uniform rank and is now recording secretary of branch No. 13 of that order. For thirty-three years he has acted as financial secretary of the Sheboygan Laborers Mutual Benevolent society and he is a retired captain of Company C, Second Wisconsin National Guard. He is a member of the Evergreen City guard veteran corps and now holds rank of first lieutenant in the same. He was one of the organizers of this corps in 1898 and was actively connected with Wisconsin military affairs for seventeen years and is now on the retired list of the Wisconsin national guards.
His political allegiance Mr. Trester accords to the republican party and he has several times been called to public office. He was elected a member of the board of aldermen in 1890, serving in that capacity for six years. From 1894 to 1896, he was president of the council and he served as fire and police commissioner from 18g7 to 1901. Mr. Trester's official record has always been characterized by a fidelity to duty that is above question and there as in his business transactions he has manifested the high principles and sound integrity that have won him the esteem and respect of all with whom he has had dealings.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL