J. H. Timm

J. H. Timm, of the firm of J. H. Timm Company, has been identified with the commercial interests of Plymouth for twenty-six years. He is a man of energy and marked capability and has made a success of his undertakings and is now numbered among the representative business men of the town. He was born in a small settlement southwest of Plymouth on the 4th of June, 1858, and is a son of J. W. and Molly (Weiboldt) Timm, both of whom are still living.

The father who was born and reared in Hanover, Germany, emigrated to the United States in 1849 and located in Sheboygan county. Here he met and subsequently married Miss Weiboldt, who was likewise a native of Hanover, whence she emigrated to America with her mother in early girlhood, her father having died in Germany. During the early years of his residence in this county, Mr. Timm operated a grist mill but he later removed to Sheboygan Falls and opened a flour and feed store. After conducting this for some years he disposed of it and went to Cascade and bought a mill which he operated until about ten years ago when he withdrew from active business and has ever since lived retired. He and the mother continue to live at Cascade. They are the parents of eleven children, six of whom are living.

Unlike the majority of his countrymen, Mr. Timm has had no military experience. He was released from service in the German army because of physical disability and in 1864 he was drafted into the Union army but was exempt for the same reason. Sheboygan county has always been the home of J. H. Timm, who was reared in the vicinity of Plymouth and educated in the schools of Cascade. When his studies were completed he entered the mill with his father with whom he was associated for eight years. In 1878 he turned his attention to commercial activities and coming to Plymouth he engaged in the milling business with Otto Puhlman for eight years and then joined the company which was organized under the firm name of Crockett, Timm and Co. Two years later he bought out his partner's interest and removing across the street to his present location rented a part of the store of Huston Brothers.

Here he continued operations under the name of J. H. Timm until 1893, when he became associated with Huston Brothers, under the name of Huston Brothers and Timm Company. This company was in operation for twelve years, and at the end of that time Mr. Timm bought out the interest of Huston Brothers and has ever since continued under the name of J. H. Tinun Company. He has a good location and through careful attention to the needs of his patrons and keen discernment in the management of his enterprise has succeeded in building up a fine trade. He handles farming implements of every variety and also wagons and buggies, electrical and plumbing supplies, heating plants, wiring and various tools and appliances. In addition to these he buys and sells feed and grain and also has a coal and wood yard. Mr, Timm is a man of intense activity, foresight and sagacity and during the long period of his con, nection with local business affairs has accumulated a nice competence and is financially interested in various local enterprises, among them the Plymouth Chair Company of which he is president.

In this county in 1881 was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Timm and Miss Eliza Kuestner, also a native of Sheboygan county, and to them have been born nine children, as follows: Otto W ., who is in the store with his father; Walter H., who is a rate commissioner at Madison; Heida, who is bookkeeper for her father; Harry, who is attending high school; and Meta, Eleanor and Luella, who are also in school; and two who died in infancy.

Fraternally Mr. Timm is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and also of the Eagles. He is a public-spirited man, and while he has never sought political preferment he has always been one of the leaders in every progressive movement inaugurated in the town and he can always be depended upon to give his support and cooperation to every worthy cause.


Source

Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL