Herman C. Stolper, treasurer of Sherman township, was born July 30, 1864, on the farm where he still makes his home. He is the son of Fred and Helen (Matchke) Stolper, the former born in 1828 in Silesia, Germany. The mother, who was also a native of Germany, was born two years earlier. The parents were married in the fatherland and two of their children, Anse and William, were born before their departure for America, when the father was a young man of twenty-five years.
The family first settled in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where they remained for a year before removing to Sheboygan county on the farm where Herman C. Stolper now resides. The father bought eighty acres to which he added further purchases of land until at the time of his death, on the 15th of March, 1896, he was the owner of five hundred and fifty-two acres. His sons grew up on the home place, assisting their father in its cultivation, and at his death they each inherited a farm, the homestead being the share of Herman C. Stolper.
The father was one of the prominent men of his day and locality and the property which he divided among his heirs was proof that his years had been well spent and that his energies had been wisely directed. His wife passed away on the 7th of May, 1898.
In the family of Mr. and Mrs. Stolper were the following children: Anse, who was before his death a prosperous and influential farmer of this county; William, who died at the age of eight; Caroline, who married John Goetsch, of Sherman; August, living in Adell; Bertha, who married E. D. Schelling, of Scott township, this county; Robert, living in this township; Herman, who is the subject of this sketch; Amelia, who married Emil Janke, of this township; Elizabeth, who married John Plautz, also of this township; Otto, living in this township; Anna, deceased; and two who died in infancy.
Herman C. Stolper received his education in the schools of Sherman township and assisted his father and brothers in the task of clearing their land and in the general farm work. The standing timber at first had to be hewed down. the stumps extracted and the logs cut into cord wood, and in this work, whereby three tracts of eighty acres each were rendered fit for cultivation, Herman Stolper bore a large share. Since he has come into possession of the homestead he has wrought many improvements among which may be counted the erection of new buildings. His farm is equipped with implements and appliances of the most approved pattern and is stocked with full-blooded Holstein and other high grade cattle. He keeps about thirty milch cows and has specialized on the conduct of his dairy, the products of which command the highest market price.
In 1889 Mr. Stolper was united in marriage to Anna Arntz, whose father, August Arntz, came to Wisconsin from Germany when twenty years of age. They were the parents of seven children, as follows: Fred, who was born February 26, 1890f; Helen and Charles, twins, who were born February 6, 1892, the latter of whom died in infancy; Edna, who was born March 25, 1898; Edgar and Sadie, twins, who were born November 6, 1899; and Walter, who was born January 2, 1901. The children all remain in their father's home, their mother having passed away in October, 1901.
On November 13, 1902, Mr. Stolper was married to Anna Nicholaus, a daughter of William Nicholaus. In their family are two children: Ida, born December 19, 1906; and Gertrude, born October 3, 1910.
Mr. Stolper gives his support to the republican party, the platform of which embodies his political views. He holds the office of town treasurer and has been road overseer since his father's death. He is a member of the local Lutheran church, in the faith of which denomination his family has been reared. He stands high in the community of which he has been a lifelong member, and at all times is actuated by a public-spirited desire for the general good that none questions. The measure of success which he has attained is the result of his carefully formulated plans which have had their roots in good judgment and earnestness.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL