Dr. H. D. Squire, whose office is located at No. 629 North Eighth street, has been engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery in Sheboygan for the past thirty-nine years. He was born at Riverhead, New York, on September 6, 1839, and is a son of Daniel and Mary Squire. He is of English extraction in the paternal line, and is descended from one of three brothers who located in America during the colonial days. Daniel Squire, who was a shoemaker by trade, removed from New York to Illinois during the pioneer days, settling in the city of Rockford. He passed away at the age of seventy-five years, but the mother is living at the venerable age of ninety-three years and makes her home in Ottumwa.
Dr. Squire, who was only a child when his parents removed to Illinois, received his preliminary education in the public schools of Rockford, where he pursued his studies until graduated from the high school at the age of eighteen years. He subsequently taught school for three winters, from 1857 to 1860, and having resolved to become a physician during that time he devoted his spare hours to the study of medicine. In 1863 he matriculated in the Hahnemann Homeopathic Medical College, and the following year, in February, 1864, at Cleveland, Ohio, was awarded the degree of M. D., but he had been engaged in practice for a year prior to that. Immediately after his graduation from his professional course, Dr. Squire went to McGregor, Iowa, and opened an office that he maintained for ten years with the exception of ten months which he spent in Denver, Colorado. In February, 1873, he came to Sheboygan, where he has built up a large and lucrative practice, being one of the best known representatives of his profession in the city.
At McGregor, Iowa, in November, 1866, Dr. Squire was married to Mrs. Mary E. Chamberlin, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Watson, well known pioneers of Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin. Seven children have been born to Dr. and Mrs. Squire as follows: Harry, a hospital steward in the United States Cavalry service, who died in 1900 at the age of thirty-eight years and is buried in Wildwood cemetery, this city; C. A., a graduate of the Wisconsin University, who is now engaged in the practice of medicine; Mary C., the wife of Chester Steadman, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Sarah B., who is living at home; Carrie, who married Craig S. Bowling and lives in Chicago; Arthur B., the manager of the Meyers shoe store at Milwaukee; and Alice, who married K. L. Gifford, city paymaster's clerk of Chicago. The family home is located at No. 623 New York avenue, where Dr. Squire owns a very pleasant residence.
Dr. Squire has been identified with various fraternal organizations, and was for many years examiner for the National Union, and has held practically all of the chairs of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Royal Arcanum, Knights of Honor and Maccabees. In his political views he has always been a stanch republican. Dr. Squire, who has been identified with the medical profession for forty-nine years, is one of the oldest practicing physicians in Sheboygan, where he is accorded the esteem that is justly merited by his honorable and well spent life.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL