H. M. Scott is one of the leading manufacturers of cheese and butter in Sheboygan county. He was born at Chilton, Calumet county, Wisconsin, June 9, 1866, and is a son of Mr. and Mrs. H.K. Scott, who are natives -of New York. The paternal grandparents were E.W. and Sarah (Wood) Scott, both of whom were natives of New York and emigrated to Wisconsin, settling in Calumet county, where they continued to live during the remaining years of their lives.
The father, when a boy of eight years, came with his parents to Calumet county, Wisconsin, and on attaining his majority engaged in farming, which he has since continued to follow. H. K. Scott and his wife are the parents of seven sons, five of whom are living, as follows: H. M., of this review; W. A., a cheese manufacturer of Lyndon township; C. A., chief engineer of the Wales Tuberculosis Sanitarium; V. M., who follows farming in Canada; and V. E., a resident of Reno, Nevada.
H. M. Scott was reared in his parents' home and received his elementary education in the district schools in Calumet county. He remained under the parental roof until he was eighteen years of age, after which he learned the cheese and butter making trades and after mastering a knowledge of the business he removed to McHenry county, Illinois, where he remained for ten years, after which he returned to Sheboygan Falls. In 1898 he purchased a cheese factory located two miles north of Sheboygan Falls, which he continued to operate until 1905, at which time he disposed of that property. In 1901 he purchased the Harmon cheese factory and in 1903 he bought the Bates cheese factory and in 1905 the Onion River factory and in 1907 the Lyndon factory, all of which he now owns and is successfully engaged in the manufacture of butter and cheese. He gathers his supply of cream from twenty different factories adjacent to the locations of his own factories and at the Onion River factory he makes butter and also handles whey and cream. The four factories belonging to Mr. Scott do a gross annual business of one hundred thousand dollars. In addition to his interests in the butter and cheese factories he was one of the principal incorporators of the Waldo Canning Factory, of which he is now a director. He has also served one year as president of the Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association.
Mr. Scott was united in marriage at Hebron, Illinois, July 12, 1893, to Miss Kettie Emery, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Byron Emery. The father is one of the well known farmers of Walworth county, Wisconsin. To Mr. and Mrs. Scott three children were born, namely: Emery, who is eighteen years old; and Eugene and Mabel, sixteen and eight years of age respectively. All are still at home and both the sons are accomplished pianists. The mother of this family died May 30, 1910.
Mr. Scott is affiliated with the republican party and is always interested in the political issues of the day. He is one of the widely known men of Sheboygan county and his reputation for integrity in the transaction of all business matters has placed him among the highly creditable and useful men of the community in which he lives.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL