Mr. Schultz is the senior partner of the firm of Schultz Brothers, whose place of business is located on the Calumet road near the city limits of Sheboygan. They are general retail merchants handling groceries, flour, feed and seed. The firm has been engaged in this line of merchandising since 1904 at its present location. Mr. Schultz was born in Hancock, Michigan, September 12, 1876, and is the son of Martin and Bertha Schultz.
His father is a native of Prenzlau, in the province of Brandenburg, Germany. He emigrated to this country in the year 1856 and for nine years was employed in the copper mines in the copper country of Lake Superior. Removing from the copper fields he later became an employee of a company owning a large limekiln in the city of Sheboygan and in time was promoted by his employers to the position of foreman in which he faithfiully served the interests of the company for some time and then acquired a part ownership in the Sheboygan Lime Works. He had, however, previous to his association with the Lime company purchased the present property now used by the firm of Schultz Brothers, in the conduct of their merchandising business, of which Herman and Otto are at the present owners and proprietors.
He and Mrs. Schultz are the parents of nine children: Herman, deceased, who is buried at Superior; Bertha; Ella; Oscar, deceased; one child died in in fancy; Lizzie, the wife of Fred Leicht, who resides in Sheboygan; Herman, the second of that name, the subject of this sketch; Alma, the wife of Otto Everhardt, by occupation a printer in Sheboygan; and Arthur, one of the partners of the firm of Schultz Brothers.
Herman Schultz was reared in his father's home and received his early education in the public schools of Sheboygan. Laying aside his text-books at the age of fourteen he pursued a commercial course in the Sheboygan Commercial College, after which he became associated with his father in the merchandising business and with him in August, 1888, established the present merchandising house now owned and operated under the firm name of Schultz Brothers. He was but fifteen years of age at the time he entered upon his business career. After the retirement of his father from business he took as his first partner his brother Oscar in 1904 and with him continued the business until his death, which occurred January 19, 1912, at the age of thirty-three years. His remains are buried in the family lot in Wildwood cemetery. In June, 1911, he admitted to partnership in his business his brother Arthur. They are engaged in the retail merchandising trade, continuing the business originally established in 1888 by the father and our subject, and still being conducted under the name of Schultz Brothers.
Herman L. Schultz was united in marriage October 24, 1906, to Miss Antonie Stueber, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Herman Stueber, her people having moved to Sheboygan in the year 1880. To Mr. and Mrs. Schultz three children have been born: Herbert, Helen and Martin, all of whom are still at home with their parents. Mr. Schultz is a member of the democratic' party, following the standard of that political organization in all of its national, state and city campaigns and is a member of the German Lutheran church.
Arthur Schultz, since June, 1911, has been an associate partner in the firm of Schultz Brothers. He was born in the city of Sheboygan and reared in his father's home and received his early education in the common schools of that city. Having completed his school course at the age of fourteen he became a pupil of the Commercial College of Sheboygan and after completing his course of studies in that institution he was employed for one year as clerk in the Enterprise Grocery and immediately after became a clerk in the Schultz Brothers store, later. acquiring an interest in the concern.
Arthur Schultz was united in marriage in Sheboygan, June 28, 1911, to Miss Hazel Schmidt, a daughter of R. H. Schmidt. Her father is the present owner of the Crystal Spring Water Company and is an experienced apiarist, devoting a great deal of care and attention to bee culture. He was also the founder of the Sheboygan Fruit Box Company. Mr. Schultz is affiliated with the democratic party and gives the benefit of his support to that organization in its national and state campaigns. He is a member of the German Lutheran church.
Herman and Arthur Schultz, the owners and proprietors of the merchandising house known as the Schultz Brothers, are men of high repute, successful and enterprising and alive to the interests of their business. Their business for many years has enjoyed growth and prosperity. They are men of public spirit, interested in the religious and educational and business advancement of the community in which they live.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL