Henry C. Schuchardt, who owns a fine stock and dairy farm of seventy acres located a mile west of Sheboygan, is a native of this county, his birth having occurred in Wilson township. His father, Constantine Schuchardt, was born and reared in Saxony, Germany, whence he emigrated to the United States in 1850. He came direct to Sheboygan county, and soon thereafter bought eighty acres of land in Wilson township, that he cultivated until his death in 1901. In 1852, he was married to Miss Henrietta Kruger, who was horn in Germany, and was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Kruger, also natives of Germany.
Seventeen children were born of this marriage: Annie, the wife of Arnenzo Potter, who is employed in a factory in Sheboygan, by whom she has had six children; Bertha, the wife of George Harsch, a farmer in Sheboygan township, and the mother of two children; Magnus, a farmer in Sheboygan township, who passed away about eighteen months ago, leaving four children; Mary, the deceased wife of Robert Storbeck, a railroad laborer, by whom she had four children; Minnie, the wife of Charles Peterson, who is working in a foundry in Milwaukee, and the mother of two children; Lena, the deceased wife of William Rogers and the mother of one child; Amanda, the deceased wife of John Rawling, of Sheboygan; Henry, our subject; Elizabeth, who married Henry Biermann of Sheboygan, by whom she has had one child; Ida, the widow of Edward Rawling, a railroad man, who has four children and lives in Milwaukee; George, working in a factory in Sheboygan, who is married and has three children; Ella, who married Anton Lawrence, a street car conductor of Sheboygan; Irene, the wife of William Voigt, a farmer of Sheboygan township, and the mother of six children; and four who died in infancy.
The boyhood and early youth of Henry C. Schuchardt were passed on his father's farm, his education being obtained in the district schools of Wilson township. After leaving school he worked in Sheboygan for two years, but at the end of that time he returned to the farm, and has ever since devoted his energies to agricultural pursuits. He subsequently acquired his present farm, comprising seventy acres of well improved and highly cultivated land, and here he is engaged in stock raising and dairying, and is meeting with success in both.
On the 25th of October, 1890, Mr. Schuchardt was married to Miss Sophia Hildebrandt, a daughter of Jacob and Caroline (Nolton) Hildebrandt, natives of Germany, and they have become the parents of five children: Vera, who is living in Sheboygan and attending the high school; and Walter, Amanda, Lester and Hattie, all of whom are at home.
The family are communicants of the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mr. Schuchardt is a member of the H. 0. F. He represents the third generation of his family in Sheboygan county, his grandparents having located in Wilson township with his father. They are both deceased, the grandfather having passed away in 1901, and the grandmother in 1910, and are buried in Wildwood cemetery. Mr. Schuchardt leads a life of activity and business enterprise as is evidenced by the well kept appearance of his farm and the condition of his stock, both of which are a credit to his management and supervision.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL