Agricultural pursuits have always engaged the attention of William H. Schroeder, who engages in general fanning and stock-raising in Plymouth township, where he owns one hundred and fourteen acres of highly improved land. His birth occurred on a farm in the vicinity of Sheboygan Falls on the 26th of September, 1855, his parents being John and Amelia (Pachtmann) Schroeder. The father was born in the province of Pomerania, Germany, in 1810, and there he was also reared and educated, and learned the trade of furniture making.
He emigrated to the United States in 1837, locating in the city of New York, where for ten years he worked at his trade. From there he came to Sheboygan county in 1847, and invested his savings in a farm of one hundred and eleven acres located in the vicinity of Sheboygan Falls. He cultivated this land until 1893, when advanced age compelled his withdrawal from active work and he thereafter lived retired until his death in 1895. The mother, who was born in Germany in 1812 and was married to Mr. Schroeder in Sheboygan county, passed away in 1881. Two children, a daughter and a son were born to Mr. and Mrs. Schroeder, the former being Alvina, who is living with her brother.
The only son and the younger child of his parents, William H. Schroeder was reared at home and educated in the public schools of Sheboygan Falls. In common with other country youths he early began to assist with the work of the home farm, assuming more and more of the responsibility connected with its operation as his strength developed with the passing years.
In 1893, he bought his present homestead, which contains one hundred and fourteen acres of fertile land. When he first came into possession of the property, the residence was an old-fashioned brick structure, that was destroyed by fire in 1905. Immediately thereafter Mr. Schroeder erected his present dwelling, which is very attractive and comfortable and is thoroughly modern. He is renting out the old home farm, and gives his undivided attention to the cultivation of his. own place, on which he lives. He is meeting with success in both farming and stock-raising and is numbered among the substantial agriculturists of Plymouth township.
In 1883, Mr. Schroeder was married to Miss Hulda Truttschel, a daughter of August Truttschel, a native of Germany, who came to Wisconsin about 1848. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Schroeder: Elsie, whose birth occurred in 1885; Louise and Emilia, twins, who were born on March 22, 1890, and died in June, 1891, six hours apart; Cora, who was born in 1893; and Edgar, whose natal year was 1898. The surviving children are all at home.
The family attend the Congregational church, in which the parents hold membership, and fraternally Mr. Schroeder is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and Equitable Fraternal Union. He is republican in politics and for eleven years has been a member of the local school board. Mr. Schroeder is widely known in Sheboygan, where he has passed his entire life, and enjoys the esteem and high regard of a large circle of acquaintances many of whom have been staunch friends from his boyhood days.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL