Jacob A. Schlicht, who for many years was actively engaged in business in Sheboygan, has lived there retired since 1909. He was born in Washington county, Wisconsin, February 27, 1860, and is a son of John and Regina (Volrath) Schlicht, the former a native of Nueremberg, Bavaria, Germany, and the latter of Bingen-on-the-Rhine, Germany.
The father was by trade and occupation a baker in his native country. He emigrated to America in 1840, settling in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and there established himself in business as the proprietor of an immigrant house. Some years later he removed to Washington county and there engaged in the brewing business, in which he continued until he suffered a loss by fire of his entire plant. In 1861 he came to Sheboygan where he engaged in the saloon business on Eighth street, to which he continued to give his attention until 1866, at which time he again suffered a loss by fire of his entire property. Two years later he purchased a farm near the city of Sheboygan and engaged in agricultural pursuits, in which he continued for a number of years. In 1885 he sold to the city of Sheboygan twenty acres of his farm as a site upon which the city and county later built the Sheboygan County Asylum for the Insane. He continued to live upon his farm during the remaining years of his life which closed in 1895. The mother was born December 25, 1818, and passed away in July, 1908, at the age of ninety years. To Mr. and Mrs. John Schlicht six children were born, two of whom are now living: John S., who is the eldest, resides in Sheboygan, and J. A., the subject of this review.
J. A. Schlicht was reared in his father's home and received his elementary education in the public schools of Sheboygan county. He worked at the machinist's trade for some time and was afterward employed as clerk in a dry-goods house for a brief period and in 1878, at the age of eighteen years, he was employed in the wholesale and retail liquor business which Mr. Nehrlich and his brother William, under the firm name of Schlicht and Nehrlich, had established in 1873. In 1877 Mr. Nehrlich retired from the firm after which the business was conducted under the name of William Schlicht until 1880 when the subject of this review entered into partnership with his brother William, at which time the name of the firm was changed to Wm. Schlicht and Brother and so continued until 1896 when Jacob A., of this review, became the sole owner and proprietor of the business to which he gave his entire attention until 1909. At that time he permanently retired and now is in the enjoyment of a well earned rest and maintains his residence in Sheboygan.
Mr. Schlicht was united in marriage, in 1901, to Miss Alma C. Krueter, a native of Plymouth, Wisconsin, and they became the parents of two children: William A., and Louisa, who died in infancy. The mother of this family passed away August 22, 1911, at Sheboygan. Mr. Schlicht is a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, also of the Knights of Pythias and the Fraternal Order of Eagles. He is affiliated with the demorcatic party, but has never sought political preferment. For many years Mr. Schlicht was actively identified with the business interests of the city of Sheboygan where he now leads a retired life, respected by his friends and associates.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL