An excellent farm of ninety acres pays tribute to the care and cultivation of Henry Schaetzer, and in its neat and attractive appearance indicates his careful supervision and his practical and progressive methods. The place is located in Mosel township and constitutes one of the pleasing features of the landscape. Mr. Schaetzer has reversed the usual order of things-farm boys coming to the city for he left the city to go to the farm and has won success since entering actively into connection with agricultural interests. He was born in Sheboygan, May 19, 1883, and is a son of William Schaetzer, whose birth occurred in Prussia, Germany, December 6, 1848.
The latter was a son of August Schaetzer, who spent his entire life in the fatherland. William Schaetzer came to America when twenty-four years of age and in 1872 took up his abode in Sheboygan. He had learned the mason's trade in Germany and followed that pursuit after his arrival in the United States. In later years he extended the scope of his activities to include plumbing and the building of sewers, taking contracts for both lines of work in addition to his building operations as a mason. He was also engaged in the real-estate business and about six weeks prior to his death retired from active life. He was then fifty-seven years of age and his industry and careful management in previous years had brought to him a comfortable competence, but he was not long permitted to enjoy a period of rest in this world, for in December, 1905, he passed away. His fraternal relations were with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, his membership being in the German lodge at Sheboygan, Wisconsin. He was married to Miss Dorothy Rautmann, a daughter of Henry and Dorothy (Hertt) Rautmann, both of whom were born in Prussia, Germany, and came to Sheboygan county in the year 1856.
The father early learned the shoemaker's trade in Germany and at different periods in his life followed shoemaking and farming. He died in Sheboygan in 1894 and his wife survived until 1900. In their family were four children, including Mrs, Schaetzer, who was educated in the district schools of this county and was married at the age of nineteen years. She became the mother of four children: Alma, who is a bookkeeper in the Otto Junck plumbing shop; August, who is farming in Baudette, Minnesota; Henry; and Edwin, who is a mason by trade and is married and has one child, Mabel.
In the district schools Henry Schaetzer pursued his studies and during the periods of vacation worked on the farm. On the 15th of February, 1906, he came to the farm upon which he now lives and is devoting his time and energies to his tract of ninety acres. He specializes in dairy farming and is interested in the breeding of graded stock. The land is naturally rich and productive and is partly devoted to the cultivation of such crops as are best suited for his purpose.
On the 18th of March, 1900, Mr. Schaetzer was married to Miss Augusta Steffen, a daughter of Fred Steffen, of Johnsonville, Sheboygan Falls township, who was a carpenter by trade but is now living retired. Mr. Steffen was born in Sheboygan county, Herman township, and is a son of Fred 'Steffen, who came from Germany at a very early day, being one of the first settlers in Herman township.
Mr. and Mrs. Schaetzer have become the parents of four children. William F., Florence D., Elnora and Helania. The parents are members of the German Lutheran church and throughout the community in which they live are highly esteemed because of their many sterling traits of character and their upright principles. Mr. Schaetzer well deserves to be numbered among the representative agriculturists of Mosel township and his success is the merited reward of his labors.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL