George Schaefer, a well known and representative agriculturist of Sheboygan county, resides on section 7, Plymouth township, where he owns one hundred acres of valuable land and devotes his attention to dairy farming. He is numbered among the worthy native sons of this county, his birth having occurred in Plymouth township on the 15th of June, 1868. His parents, George and Sophia (Iserloth) Schaefer, were both natives of Waldeck, Germany, the former born on the 6th of November, 1829, and the latter on the 4th of December, 1832.
It was about 1857 that George Schaefer, Sr., emigrated to the United States, first taking up his abode in Greenbush township, Sheboygan county, Wisconsin. Subsequently he removed to Plymouth township and purchased forty-six acres of land on section 7. He cleared the property and erected the necessary buildings, his first house and barn being constructed of logs but being later replaced by frame structures. He resided on that place until 1887 and then put aside the active work of the fields and removed to Glenbeulah, where he lived until 1906. The last four years of his life were spent in the home of his son George, his demise occurring on the 29th of March, 1910. His wife was called to her final rest on the 5th of April, 1909.
George Schaefer, Sr., was a resident of this county for more than a half century and was well known and highly esteemed as a worthy pioneer and representative citizen. His children were six in number, as follows: Katharine, the wife of Richard Bruns, of Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin; William, who is a resident of Clark county, Wisconsin ; Sophia, the wife of Newt Johnson; of Sheboygan, this state; Hermina, who is the wife of Charles Grunert and resides in Escanaba, Michigan; George, Jr., of this review ; and Louisa, the wife of Tom Johnson, of Lyndon township, Sheboygan county.
George Schaefer, Jr., acquired his education in the public schools of this county and grew to manhood on his father's farm, early becoming familiar with the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist. About 1892 he rented the home place and eight years later purchased the property, continuing to operate the same until 1902. In that year he sold the farm and subsequently spent two years at work in the city of Sheboygan. In 1904 he purchased the farm of his brother William on section 7, Plymouth township, which has since remained in his possession and which embraces one hundred acres of rich and productive land. He has brought the place under a high state of cultivation and improvement and devotes his attention to dairy farming, his cattle being graded Holsteins.
In 1910 Mr. Schaefer was united in marriage to Miss Lottie Miller, a daughter of George and Katharine (Jacquilliard) Miller, who reside on a farm in Alsace, Germany. Mrs. Lottie Schaefer, who is a native of the fatherland; emigrated to the United States in 1907. Her brother and sister, George and Lena, still reside in Alsace. Unto our subject and his wife has been born one child, Erna, whose natal day was February 9, 1911. Mr. and Mrs. Schaefer are members of the Lutheran church at Glenbeulah, in the work of which they take an active and helpful interest. They have an extensive circle of friends throughout the community in which they reside, having ever displayed those sterling traits of character which in every land and clime win confidence and regard.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL