Dr. A. C. Rogers

Dr. A. C. Rogers is a native of Maine, his birth having occurred in Cambridge, Somerset county, January 24, 1843. He is a son of Captain Oran and Mary Ann (Dennett) Rogers. The father was born in 1812 in the state of Maine and the family is one of the oldest of old New England Revolutionary stock. He was engaged in his native state in farming and in merchandising, and in 1845 he removed to Lima township, Sheboygan county, Wisconsin, where he settled on a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, upon which he filed a government preemption claim. Here he continued to live for a period of six or seven years and then removed to Cascade. During the Civil war he served for two years as captain of Company I, First Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, enlisting in 1861.

Returning from the service after his discharge, he engaged in farming for some time and afterward retired wholly from active business interests and established his home at Cascade. His wife, Mary Ann (Dennett) Rogers, was also a native of Maine, having been born in that state in 1818. To them five children were born, all of whom are still living. Both the father and mother of this family are deceased, the death of Mr. Rogers occurring in February, 1869, and that of Mrs. Rogers in 1875.

Dr. Rogers was reared in his father's home and educated in the public schools of Wisconsin, his family having removed to this state when he was but a child. After laying aside his text-books he was engaged as clerk in a merchandising store for some time and at the age of eighteen, on the outbreak of the Civil war, he enlisted on April 23, 1861, in Company C, of the Fourth Wisconsin Infantry. This company was mustered in and its first service was in the infantry division but later it was transferred to the cavalry. As a soldier in the field he continued to follow his command until July 9, 1864, at which time he received his honorable discharge and was mustered out of the service. He immediately thereafter returned to Wisconsin and accepted a position in a mercantile establishment. While so engaged he took up the study of medicine and after completing the elementary studies in that branch of science he became a student of the Iowa College of Physicians and Surgeons and upon his completion of the full course required by that institution. He was graduated with the degree of M. D. in the class of 1879. He entered at once upon the general practice of medicine, in which he continued successfully for five years, after which he pursued a post-graduate course. Upon the completion of his studies he located in Sheboygan Falls, where he opened an office and for some time was there engaged in the practice of his profession. Later he removed to Cascade, where he established himself in the practice of medicine and has since continued in the successful pursuit of his chosen life work.

Dr. Rogers has been twice married, choosing as his second life partner Miss Susan J. Michaels, and to them one child has been born, Ardel C. Three children were born to his first marriage, Leland W., Carroll L. and Anna Belle.

Dr. Rogers belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Grand Army of the Republic and keeps in touch with the advanced work of the profession through his membership in the county and state medical societies. He has lived through one of the most stirring and important epochs of American history and has the honored record of having been for more than four years identified with the most crucial period in the history of this country. His record as a soldier sufficiently establishes his true American manhood and immediately after his discharge he demonstrated his ability as an enterprising son of America in at once qualifying himself by his own unaided effort to fill an important place in life as a skilled and competent practitioner of the science of medicine. To his chosen life work he has given the mature years of his life and in this field of service he is still engaged and regarded by the people of his community as a successful and competent practitioner.


Source

Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL