Edward Plaster

One of the most prominent farmers of Sheboygan county and a man who is in a large measure responsible for the progress and growth of the agricultural interests of that section, is Edward Plaster, who cultivates a tract of land in Scott township. He was born August 20, 1866, and is a son of Edward and Henrietta (Rounke) Plaster, both natives of Germany. Edward Plaster, the father, was born in Pommern in 1825, where he followed the trade of tailoring, coming to the United States in 1845. He worked at his business in Milwaukee for some time but removed to Sheboygan county in 1855, where he bought forty acres of unimproved timber land which he cleared and cultivated. Year by year he added to his holdings, increasing his equipment and modernizing his methods until upon his death, in 18g6, he had an up-to-date farm of seventy-two acres which descended to his son. He served in the Civil war for one year as a member of the Fourteenth Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and received honorable discharge at the end of the war, coming back to Sheboygan county and resuming his farm life.

His wife, Henrietta Rounke, was also born in Germany and crossed the Atlantic alone when she was still a young girl. She married Edward Plaster, the father of the subject of this sketch, in Adell, Wisconsin, and is still living in this county, where she makes her home with her son. Mr. and Mrs. Edward Plaster became the parents of nine children of whom there are seven yet living: Minnie, who married August Radtke, of Cascade, Wisconsin; Gusta, the wife of George Forbes, of Madison, Wisconsin; Emma, who married Char1es Grosskreutz and now resides in Sheboygan county; Anna, deceased; Edward, the subject of this sketch; Amelia, who married Frederick Hahn, of Nebraska; Ida, who married John Peters and resides in Nebraska; Julia, the wife of William Gandt, a prominent business man of Milwaukee; and Etta, the deceased wife of Julius Behnke.

Edward Plaster was born upon the farm which he is now operating, and was educated in the public schools of Scott township. Up to the time of his father's death in 1896 he remained at home assisting in the cultivation of the farm which he had rented for his own use ten years previously and continues to operate the same, the mother having an interest in the property. He has spent all of his active agricultural life in improving and clearing the acres on which he lives. He gives much of his time and attention to the dairy branch of the business and takes great pride in his ten head of high-grade cows. The products of his dairy, well known throughout the township and county, obtain ready sale upon the market on account of their high quality which has always been kept up to a remarkable standard.

Edward Plaster was married, March 14, 1889, to Miss Tina Bartelt, a daughter of Charles Bartelt, whose sketch appears on another page of this work. Mr. and Mrs. Plaster are the parents of three children: Ella, who was born on the 15th of January, 1890; Lena, whose birth occurred on August 19, 1892; and Elnora, who is now sixteen years of age. The agricultural interests of the district of which Mr. Plaster is a resident have benefited greatly by his enterprise along these lines. His methods are resultant, his equipment is thoroughly up-to-date, his buildings modern and his dairy a splendid example of what intelligence and common sense will accomplish in this line. In politics he is consistently republican but beyond voting for the party candidate in national affairs he takes no active part in the public life of the township, preferring to devote himself to his family and the peaceful duties of farm life. He is a member of the Methodist church of Batavia, Wisconsin, and is actively interested in religious and charitable organizations.


Source

Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL