By reason of his close application and enterprising methods Eugen E. Pantzer, president of the Pantzer Lumber Company and vice president of the Northern Furniture Company, has become known as one of the representative business men of Sheboygan. He was born in this city on the 5th of February, 1862, and is a son of John G. Pantzer, for many years a well known merchant and cigar manufacturer of Sheboygan. The father was born in Sulzbach, Bavaria, Germany, on the 27th of February, 1831, and there he was educated and reared to the age of sixteen years. In 1847, he came to this city but soon thereafter he went to the state of New York. He returned to Sheboygan, however, in 1850 and engaged in the furniture business, thereafter making this city his home.
For his wife and helpmate he chose Miss Willa Koehler, who was born in Bielefeld, Prussia, Germany, on the 14th of April 1838. At the age of ten years she came to the United States with a sister, but three years later she returned to Germany to complete her studies, remaining there until 1853, when she once more took passage for this country, accompanied by her mother and five sisters and one brother, the father having passed away in the old country. The family of Mr. and Mrs. John G. Pantzer numbered seven, of whom Eugen was the third.
The entire life of Eugen E. Pantzer has been passed in this city among whose residents and business men he is well known and is held in high regard. At the usual age he entered the public schools and there pursued his studies until he was fourteen and a half years of age, when he laid aside his text-books to assume the duties of life. He began his business career as an errand boy m the First National Bank of this city, but he subsequently withdrew from this and worked for a time with his father. He was always very ambitious, and early realizing that diligence and perseverance are the most salient factors in success he applied himself energetically and painstakingly to anything he undertook.
He was not satisfied to efficiently discharge his duties in accordance with the commonly accepted methods but was always striving to find better ways of doing his work. His initiative and trustworthiness won him recognition in local business circles and opportunities were constantly presented to him for advancement. In january, 1881, he became bookkeeper for G. B. Mattoon, later incorporated as the Mattoon Manufacturing Company, of which he held the office of secretary and treasurer for a period of fifteen years, until January, 1899, when he entered the lumber business with his father-in-law under the firm name of Pantzer, Morris & Company.
In 1905 the firm was incorporated as the Pantzer Lumber Company. This company not only carries on a local business but owns and operates branches at Oostburg, Cedar Grove, Belgium, Port Washington and Saukville, Wisconsin. From a small beginning in 1899, its development was marked by an orderly progress that manifests stability and permanency and Mr. Panzer today is one of the well established and substantial representatives of the commercial fraternity of Sheboygan. In the direction and development of his interests as proprietor of the Pantzer Lumber Company, he has manifested the positive and dominant qualities that invariably win recognition, and the prosperity that has rewarded his efforts is the well deserved reward of assiduous application and determination of purpose.
On January 17, 1895, Mr. Pantzer married Miss Caroline Morris, a daughter of William and Caroline (Newcomb) Morris. The Morris family were early settlers in this county. To Mr. and Mrs. Pantzer have been born three children: Frederick Morris, born March 17, 1897; Eugene Ernest, Jr., born June 9, 1900; and Margaret Elizabeth, born July 3, 1903. The family are members of the Episcopal church and Mrs. Pantzer takes an active part in all church work.
Fraternally Mr. Pantzer belongs to the Elks and he is also a charter member of the Country Club. The poor and needy find in Mr. and Mrs. Pantzer faithful friends and their support is ever given to those enterprises which are intended to prove of public benefit. Mr. Pantzer has accorded his political support to the men and measures of the republican party ever since granted the right of franchise upon attaining his majority, but while he is a man with high standards of citizenship and is always ready to forward every movement the adoption of which he feels would advance the community's interests, he has never figured in public life to the extent of seeking political preferment. He is well and widely known in this vicinity, having passed his entire life in Sheboygan, and the fact that he has hosts of friends, who have been loyal to him from his early youth, is proof positive of his sterling worth and integrity of character.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL