Samuel J. Ogle, the owner of an excellent farm of one hundred and twenty acres on section 22, Lyndon township, has lived in retirement since 1910 but in former years was actively identified with agricultural pursuits here and also followed the blacksmith's trade for a time. Having come to Sheboygan county in 1855, he has witnessed many changes as a pioneer region has been transformed,into a highly developed and well populated district.
His birth occurred in Frederick, Maryland, on the 18th of May, 1836. The Ogles come of an old Maryland family of English descent whose representatives were planters in the Old Line state. One of the name served as governor of Maryland under the royal government and another was governor under the proprietary government.
William Ogle, the father of our subject, was born at Frederick, Maryland, in 1810, and there grew to manhood, learning the blacksmith's trade, which he followed after establishing his home in the west. In 1847 he took up his abode in Ohio and in 1855 came to Wisconsin, locating at Cascade, where he purchased land. In 1892 he abandoned the work of a blacksmith and retired, taking up his abode on the farm which his children were operating. Subsequently he went to Chicago where his demise occurred in 1896. His remains were interred at Cascade. He had been a resident of this county for four decades and had won many friends within its borders by reason of his upright and honorable life. He was twice married, choosing for his first wife Miss Mary Amig, a native of Maryland. Her father and brother enlisted in the War of 1812 and lost their lives in that struggle.
Unto William and Mary ( Amig) Ogle were born eight children, as follows: William, deceased, who served as a member of a Missouri regiment during the Civil war; Samuel J., of this review; Anne, the deceased wife of George Brickner; Clay, who was killed at Perryville, Kentucky, while loyally defending the Union as a member of the First Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry; George, who is a resident of Nebraska; Mary, the wife of Charles Kennedy, of Sheboygan Falls; and Flora and Charles, both of whom reside in Nebraska.
Samuel J. Ogle obtained his education in the public schools of Maryland and Ohio and came to this state with his parents when a youth of nineteen. He learned the blacksmith's trade and worked at that occupation at Cascade with his father and subsequently spent a year as a blacksmith at Sheboygan. In 1864 he journeyed overland to Virginia City, Montana (then Idaho), there working at his trade in the gold camps. In 1868 he returned to Cascade, Wisconsin, here continuing work at the blacksmith's trade until 1873. In that year he located on the farm which he had purchased on section 22, Lyndon township, and the following year opened a blacksmith shop at Waldo, conducting the same for about five years in connection with the cultivation of his fields.
After disposing of his shop he devoted his time exclusively to the operation of his farm, on which he still resides. Since 1910, however, he has enjoyed retirement, leaving the active work of the fields to his son James. There were only log buildings on this farm of one hundred and twenty acres when Mr. Ogle first took possession thereof, but these he has since replaced by a handsome residence, a commodious barn and good outbuildings for the shelter of grain and stock. He originally gave his attention to the cultivation of grain, but in recent years his farm has been devoted to dairying. Mr. Ogle has full blooded and graded Holsteins and was one of the first to introduce full blooded cattle in the community.
On the 27th of December, 1859, Mr. Ogle was united in marriage to Miss Esther Kennedy, who was born in Augusta, Maine, in 1840, her parents being George and Margaret (Dempsey) Kennedy, both of whom were born near Dublin, Ireland. Leaving the Emerald isle, George Kennedy first made his way to Canada and later removed to Maine, working in the lumber mills at Augusta. In 1855 he came west, settling in Lima township, Sheboygan county, Wisconsin, where he devoted his attention to general agricultural pursuits until called to his final rest in 1883. Unto him and his wife were born eight children, of whom Mrs. Ogle was the fourth in order of birth.
Our subject and his wife have also become the parents of eight children. George B., a sketch of whom appears on another page of this work, is a merchant of Waldo. Frank A., the secretary of the Brickner Woolen Mills, makes his home at Sheboygan Falls. William, a priest in the Catholic church, resides at St. Marys Corners, near Swanton, Ohio. Esther makes her home with her brother William in Ohio. Margaret is the widow of William Long and resides at Plymouth, Wisconsin. Adelbert passed away at the age of twenty-five years. May, living in Sheboygan Falls, is the wife of W. L. Schumaker, a salesman of stationery. James, as above stated, devotes his attention to the operation of the home farm.
In politics Mr. Ogle is a stanch democrat. He served as treasurer of Lyndon township for one term and has also acted as clerk of the school board in Cascade. Religiously he is a devout communicant of St. Mary's Catholic church of Cascade, to which his wife and children also belong. He has now passed the seventy sixth milestone on life's journey and enjoys the respect and veneration which should ever be accorded one who has traveled thus far on this earthly pilgrimage and whose career has been at all times upright and honorable.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL