One of the well known and highly successful representatives of the medical profession in Plymouth is Dr. Charles R. Nutt, who has been engaged in practice here for the past eighteen years. He was born in Des Moines county, Iowa, on the 23rd of November, 1865, and is a son of William and Mary (Staub) Nutt. The father was descended from an old New England colonial family, his ancestors having emigrated to this country from England in 1638.
They first located in Massachusetts but later removed to New York, in which state William Nutt was born in 1823 and reared to the age of fifteen years. In 1838 he accompanied his parents on their removal to Ohio, but on attaining his manhood he continued his journey westward to Des Moines county, Iowa. There he purchased a farm, located in the vicinity of Burlington, and engaged in agricultural pursuits. Having been reared in the country he was thoroughly familiar with the practical methods of farming and met with very good success in the development of his land. Although at various times he bought and cultivated other tracts of land he always retained his original homestead and there he passed away in 1886. He was by nature a pioneer and had early inured himself to the hardships and privations incident to exploring and developing a new country, and in 1868 together with his brother-in-law, he drove six yoke of oxen across the plains to Denver, Colorado. Mr. Nutt was a member of a family of seventeen, sixteen of whom lived to attain maturity while fifteen reached old age and of these five are still living.
The mother, who belonged to a colonial family of German extraction, was born at Hagerstown, Maryland, in 1838. In her early womanhood she went to Burlington, Iowa, and there she met and subsequently married Mr. Nutt, by whom she had two children. Since the death of her husband, Mrs. Nutt has made her home with her daughter, Avis, who married R. C. Stewart and now lives in Kansas.
The boyhood and early youth of Dr. Charles R. Nutt were passed on an Iowa farm. At the age of seventeen years he left home and came to Plymouth to live with an uncle, and completed his preliminary education in the local schools. After graduating from the high school he worked on a farm for about a year and then went to work in a cheese factory. He continued to work at cheese making until 1900, except during the winter months when he taught in the district schools. In the autumn of that year he went to work in a lumberman's hospital at Wausau, but soon thereafter he matriculated in the medical department of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, being a member of the first four year medical class ever graduated from that institution. He there pursued the first three years of his professional studies and then went to Philadelphia, completing his course at the University of Pennsylvania. In June, 1894, he was awarded the degree of M. D. from that institution and immediately thereafter he returned to Plymouth and on the 22d of July, that year, he opened an office in this city and here he has ever since engaged in general practice.
During the intervening years Dr. Nutt has had ample opportunity to manifest his skill both as a physician and surgeon and that he has proven his ability beyond all question is evidenced by his general popularity throughout the surrounding country as well as in Plymouth. Both in the sick room and at the operating table he has manifested the capability and efficiency that evidence rare powers of analysis and the comprehensive understanding of conditions generally that is only acquired after long years of study and close observation. He is most popular with his fellow practitioners as well as those who seek his services, and he is as loyal to the ethics of his profession as he is conscientious in his devotion to his patients.
On the 28th of June, 1894, Dr. Nutt was united in marriage to Miss Grace Burton, a daughter of William and Franc (West) Burton, well known pioneers of Sheboygan county. They are the parents of two children, of whom the son, Ernest, is now residing in Helena, Montana.
Dr. Nutt is a member of the Episcopal church and Mrs. Nutt belongs to that of the Congregational denomination. She takes an active interest in the work of its various organizations and has for many years led the choir. Fraternally Dr. Nutt is a member of the chapter of the Masonic order and both he and Mrs. Nutt are affiliated with the Order of Eastern Star. She likewise belongs to the G. G. G's., which is a local organization, and figures prominently in musical circles here.
Dr. Nutt maintains relations with his fellow practitioners through the medium of his connection with Sheboygan County Medical Society, and he is also a member of the Wisconsin State Medical Association and the National Surgical Association. His political support he accords to the republican party, but he does not actively participate in municipal affairs, owing to the exactions of his large practice, but he is public-spirited and enterprising in matters of citizenship and can always be depended upon to cooperate in every progressive movement.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL