William J. Nuss, secretary of the Pantzer Lumber Company and also of the Port Washington Lumber Company, is a representative young business man of Sheboygan. He was born in the city of Milwaukee, this state, on the 10th of July, 1880, and is a son of John and Christina (Lemmenness) Nuss. The father was born and reared in Germany and there he also learned cabinet-making. In 1852, he emigrated to the United States, locating in the state of New York, where for several years he followed his trade. From there he came to Wisconsin, first settling at Sheboygan. Later he went to Milwaukee and in 1882 together with his wife and family he removed to Sheboygan. Mr. Nuss was living in Janesville when the Civil war opened and in the early days of the conflict he responded to the country's call for troops by enlisting as a private in Company F, Thirty-third Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, remaining in the service for four years. Mrs. Nuss, the mother of our subject, was a native of Holland, whence she came to America during her early years.
William J. Nuss was only a child of two years when he accompanied his parents on their removal to Sheboygan, and here he has ever since made his home. He pursued his education in the Catholic parochial schools until he had attained the age of twelve years, and then laid aside his text-books and became a wage earner. He began his business career as an errand boy in the employ of the Garton Toy Company, and as he was a bright, earnest lad, who executed to the best of his ability any task he was assigned, at the expiration of two years he was promoted to a more responsible position in the office. This proved to be an incentive to yet greater effort on his part, and he not only applied himself to a thorough mastery of his particular duties but to acquiring an intelligent understanding of every detail of the business generally. His diligence was rewarded with promotion and in 1900, at the age of twenty years, he was placed on the road as traveling salesman, his territory embracing the central states. He developed rapidly under the experience of his new position and through his efficiency won the recognition of local business houses, and was pronounced a most promising young man.
Late in the year 1902, he resigned his position and on the 1st of January, 1903, became identified with the Pantzer-Morris Company. When this enterprise was incorporated two years later, under the name of the Pantzer Lumber Company, he was taken into the firm as secretary, E. E. Pantzer being president and C. M. Pantzer, vice president. In addition to his interest in this corporation, Mr. Nuss is also a stockholder and secretary of the Port Washington Lumber Company.
On the 14th of June, 1904, Mr. Nuss was married to Miss Frances A. Fessler, a daughter of Anton and Augusta Fessler, natives of Germany. The father is now engaged in the retail grocery business in this city. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Nuss: William J. Jr., who is deceased; Cecelia; and Elizabeth.
Mr. and Mrs. Nuss are communicants of the Roman Catholic church, and he is Grand Knight of the local order of the Knights of Columbus and district deputy. He is likewise a member of the Protective Benevolent Order of Elks, and was exalted ruler of this fraternity in 1910. His connection with organizations of a more purely social nature is confined to his membership in the Sheboygan Country Club. Mr. Nuss readily impresses all with whom he comes in contact as a man of inexhaustible energy, and to this quality as well as his close concentration and persistency of purpose must be attributed the success that has attended his efforts.
August Schaeferkort who engages in general agricultural pursuits in Rhine township, is a native of Sheboygan county, his birth having occurred on the farm where he is now living, on the 26th of June, 1855. He is a son of Herman Schaeferkort, who was born in Germany on May I, 1825, and there passed the first twenty-nine years of his life. In 1854 he decided to become a citizen of the United States, Wisconsin being his destination. He located in Rhine township where he reared his family, consisting of one son and six daughters. He was notonly one of the. enterprising farmers of his community but he took an active interest in all public affairs, particularly those of a political nature, and served as treasurer of the township for two terms, while he was a member of the town board for eight years. Mr. Schaeferkort lived to attain the venerable age of eighty-one years, his death occurring on the 28th of November, 1906. He was a member of the Evangelical church.
The only son of his parents, August Schaeferkort was reared at home and educated in the common schools. He early began to assist his father with the work of the farm and by the time he had attained his maturity was a skilled agriculturist, being thoroughly familiar with the practical methods of tilting the fields and caring for the crops. His entire life has been passed on the old homestead, which he inherited upon the death of his father, and here he engages in general farming and stock-raising, and has met with a fair measure of success in the direction of 'his undertakings.
On the 1st of January, 1881, Mr. Schaeferkort was married to Miss Henrietta Uhl, a daughter of Jacob Uhl, a native of Germany, who emigrated to America and located in Rhine township during the pioneer days. He always devoted his energies to farming and was a member of the Evangelical church. His family numbered eight, six sons and two daughters. Mr. and Mrs. Schaeferkort have three children: Herman, who is twenty-seven years of age, living at home; Anna, who is twenty-four, the wife of Henry Becker of Kiel, Wisconsin; and Clara, who is eighteen, also at home.
The family are members of the Evangelical church, and for two years he served on the town board. He is one of the diligent and capable farmers of Rhine township, where he. enjoys a wide and favorable acquaintance.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL