O. C. Neumeister

There is no business which indicates more clearly the conditions of trade and commerce than the banking business, and no institution which does more to establish stability and hold in check any erratic business tendencies in times of panic than does a bank that is founded upon safe; reliable business principles and has at its head men of sound judgment and keen discernment who are ready to cope with any emergency that may arise. In the seven years of its existence the Farmers' & Merchants' State Bank of Sheboygan has made an exce11ent record, and throughout that period, or since its incorporation, O. C. Neumeister has served as its cashier and has become widely and favorably known as one of the representative and progressive business men of the city. He has lived here since 1883, and was born in the viliage of Howard's Grove in Herman township, Sheboygan county, June 5, 1866, and is a son of Louis and Maria (Vollhardt) Xeumeister. The father was engaged in the wagon manufacturing business in Howard's Grove and was a worthy and respected resident of that locality to the time of his death, which occurred in October, 1895. His widow still survives.

In his native village O. C. Neumeister was reared, and after attending the public schools pursued his education in the Mission House Seminary, this county. He started in the business world as an employe in a retail drug store in Sheboygan in 1884 and was thereafter continuously connected with pharmaceutical pursuits until 1910 when he sold his drug store. Prior to this, however, he was cashier of the Farmers' & Merchants' State Bank, a position which he still holds. His fellow officers are N. J. Schafer, who is president, and Charles Hanf, who is vice president.

Mr. Neumeister was associated with them in the organization of the bank and is becoming as well known in financial circles as he was in the field of medicine. The steps in his orderly progression are easily discernible. He learned the drug business with Zaegel & Company, of Sheboygan, later went to Philadelphia, was graduated from the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and became actively identified with the drug business of that city. He was also connected with the drug trade in Chicago for a period before entering into business on his own account in Sheboygan. He is the founder of what is now the Roenitz Drug Company, of which he is still a director, and he likewise organized the Westside Drug Company, with which he has now severed his connection. He had become well established in public regard as a reliable and progressive merchant when he entered upon the banking business. Thoroughness characterizes him in all his undertakings and has enabled him to master banking both in principle and detail.

Mr. Neumeister was married in 1895 to Miss Lillian Hanf, a daughter of Charles Hanf, of Sheboygan, and they have one son, Carl. Mr. Neumeister belongs to the Knights of Pythias lodge and also to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is much interested in matters of local progress and improvement and for sixteen years he has served on the school board, of which he was president for four years. The cause of education has ever found in him a stalwart champion, and he is equally earnest in his efforts to promote improvement along other lines.


Source

Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL