Carl J. Nehrling, who is numbered among the worthy native sons of Sheboygan county, devotes his attention to general agricultural pursuits and is the owner of a valuable farm of one hundred and twenty acres on sections I and 12, Lyndon township.
His birth occurred in Plymouth township on the 25th of June, 1866, his parents being Carl and Elizabeth (Ruge) Nehrling, both of whom were natives of Saxony, Germany. The father was born on the 19th of January, 1834, while the mother's birth occurred on the 6th of October, 1837. The Nehrlings were farmers and landowners of Saxony.
Christian Nehrling, the paternal grandfather of our subject, was born on the 3rd of January, 1803, and emigrated to America with his son Carl in 1855. He had another son, Heinrich, who remained in Saxony. Christian Nehrling made his way direct to Sheboygan county, locating in Herman township, where he purchased a tract of forty acres on section 28 which he cleared and improved. Subsequently he augmented his landed holdings by additional purchase and at the time of his demise owned an excellent farm of eighty acres. He was called to his final rest on the 7th of July, 1864, and thus the community lost one of its respected and honored pioneer settlers.
Carl Nehrling, the father of Mr. Nehrling of this review, emigrated to the United States in company with his parents and remained with his father until the latter's death, after which he continued to engage in farming. About 1864 he sold the home property and removed to Plymouth township, where he purchased land on section 23 and resided until 1874. In that year he disposed of the place and took up his abode on section 22, north of Plymouth, where he remained until about 1879, when he removed to section I, Lyndon township. There he devoted his attention to the operation and improvement of a farm until 1900, when he sold out and retired from the work of the fields.
Since that time he has lived with his children, making his home at present in Chicago. It was about 1855 that he wedded Miss Elizabeth Ruge, who is deceased, having passed away on the 25th of October, 1866. Mr. and Mrs. Carl Nehrling were the parents of four children. Henry, who is now an orange grower of Gotha, Orange county, Florida, was formerly custodian of the public museum of Milwaukee, and also served as deputy collector of customs of the port of Milwaukee. Caroline is the wife of Paul Appelt, of Chicago, Illinois. Amelia is the wife of August Kich and resides in Gary, Indiana. Carl J., of this review, is the youngest member of the family.
Carl J. Nehrling obtained his early education in a parochial school and also pursued a course of study in the Bryant and Stratton Business College of Chicago. After putting aside his text-books he began farming, first cultivating rented land. In 1900 he purchased a farm of one hundred and twenty acres on sections I and 12, Lyndon township, in the operation of which he has been engaged continuously since. He has remodeled the buildings thereon, and the property is now lacking in none of the improvements and equipments of a model farm. He devotes his attention to dairy fanning but makes a specialty of raising pure bred Holsteins for the market and has a sire related to the world's record cows.
In 1890 Mr. Nehrling was united in marriage to Miss Philipena Schaekel, a daughter of Christian Shaekel, of whom more extended mention is made on another page of this work. Unto our subject and his wife have been born three children, Otto, Erich and Althea. All are still under the parental roof.
Mr. Nehrling gives his political allegiance to the republican party and has served as supervisor of Lyndon township and also in the capacity of school clerk. He and his family belong to the Evangelical Lutheran church. His entire life has been guided by the most honorable principles and his self-reliance and unfaltering industry, combined with his integrity, constitute the salient features in his success.
William H. Schroeder
Agricultural pursuits have always engaged the attention of William H. Schroeder, who engages in general fanning and stock-raising in Plymouth township, where he owns one hundred and fourteen acres of highly improved land. His birth occurred on a farm in the vicinity of Sheboygan Falls on the 26th of September, 1855, his parents being John and Amelia (Pachtmann) Schroeder. The father was born in the province of Pomerania, Germany, in 1810, and there he was also reared and educated, and learned the trade of furniture making.
He emigrated to the United States in 1837, locating in the city of New York, where for ten years he worked at his trade. From there he came to Sheboygan county in 1847, and invested his savings in a farm of one hundred and eleven acres located in the vicinity of Sheboygan Falls. He cultivated this land until 1893, when advanced age compelled his withdrawal from active work and he thereafter lived retired until his death in 1895. The mother, who was born in Germany in 1812 and was married to Mr. Schroeder in Sheboygan county, passed away in 1881. Two children, a daughter and a son were born to Mr. and Mrs. Schroeder, the former being Alvina, who is living with her brother.
The only son and the younger child of his parents, William H. Schroeder was reared at home and educated in the public schools of Sheboygan Falls. In common with other country youths he early began to assist with the work of the home farm, assuming more and more of the responsibility connected with its operation as his strength developed with the passing years.
In 1893, he bought his present homestead, which contains one hundred and fourteen acres of fertile land. When he first came into possession of the property, the residence was an old-fashioned brick structure, that was destroyed by fire in 1905. Immediately thereafter Mr. Schroeder erected his present dwelling, which is very attractive and comfortable and is thoroughly modern. He is renting out the old home farm, and gives his undivided attention to the cultivation of his. own place, on which he lives. He is meeting with success in both farming and stock-raising and is numbered among the substantial agriculturists of Plymouth township.
In 1883, Mr. Schroeder was married to Miss Hulda Truttschel, a daughter of August Truttschel, a native of Germany, who came to Wisconsin about 1848. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Schroeder: Elsie, whose birth occurred in 1885; Louise and Emilia, twins, who were born on March 22, 1890, and died in June, 1891, six hours apart; Cora, who was born in 1893; and Edgar, whose natal year was 1898. The surviving children are all at home.
The family attend the Congregational church, in which the parents hold membership, and fraternally Mr. Schroeder is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and Equitable Fraternal Union. He is republican in politics and for eleven years has been a member of the local school board. Mr. Schroeder is widely known in Sheboygan, where he has passed his entire life, and enjoys the esteem and high regard of a large circle of acquaintances many of whom have been staunch friends from his boyhood days.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL