Alvah R. Munger

A. R. Munger

Alvah R. Munger is one of the battle-travailed veterans of the Civil war. After many years of service in the employe of the government and succeeding years of toil as a farmer he is now able to enjoy a well deserved rest in his beautiful home at Waldo, this state, where he lives a retired life. He was born in Marseilles, La Salle county, Illinois, August 3, 1842, and is a son of Rufus and Amanda A. (Peck) Munger.

Rufus Munger, Jr., the father, is of Scotch-English descent. His immediate ancestors, however, many years ago established their home in one of the New England states. He was born in Genesee county, New York, in 1812, and upon attaining his majority he was engaged in educational work as a teacher in the public schools for a period of seven years, after which he devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits. He removed from his native state to Huron county, Ohio, and later to Marsailles, La Salle county, Illinois, from which place he removed to Wisconsin, where he filed upon eighty acres of government land in the township of Scott in Sheboygan county. After completing the required number of years of residence upon this place he walked to Green Bay, Wisconsin, in order to obtain his patent from the government to his land. He continued to live upon the farm upon which he made his original location during the remaining years of his life. He has the distinction of being the first assessor in the township of Scott. Mr. and Mrs. Rufus Munger were united in wedlock in Huron county, Ohio, and to them five sons and three daugthers were born, two of whom are still living; Alvah R., the subject of this review, and a sister. The parents of this family are both deceased, the mother having died in February, 1862, and the father, April 11, 1887.

Alvah R. Munger came with his parents to Wisconsin when a child of but four years of age. He was educated in the common schools. During the early years of his life he was engaged in teaching, a vocation which he pursued for a brief period only, during which he taught for three terms in the public schools.

Mrs. A. R. Munger

Before attaining his majority he heard the call of his government for help to save unsevered the nation's flag and he enlisted in August, 1862, in the Twenty-seventh Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. His command was destined to follow the fortunes of the western army and his regiment engaged in the siege of Vicksburg, the battle of Jenkins' Ferry in Arkansas, and also did service on the borders of the gulf. During his army life he served as bugler of his regiment. He was mustered out of service on August 29, 1865, at Brownsville, Texas, where he received his honorable discharge, and with his regiment returned to Wisconsin. Immediately after completing his services as a soldier he returned to his father's home and there took charge of the management of the place and looked after the welfare of his aged father.

He continued to live upon the old homestead until the 29th of March, 1902, at which time he disposed of the property and removed to Waldo, where he established his present residence.

Mr. Munger was united in marriage on the 22nd of September, 1867, to Miss Jeannette Floyd. Mrs. Munger is a native of New York, her birth having occurred in the city of Albany. She is a daughter of Ezra and Mary (Hindman) Floyd. Her father was a native of Massachusetts and was descended from one of the old New England families. The parents of Mrs. Munger removed from the east to Wisconsin and settled in the town of Scott on a farm adjoining the old homestead of Rufus Munger, the father of her husband, in the year 1847.

Mrs. Munger's brother, Joseph, was the first white child born in the township of Scott in this county. Her father, Ezra Floyd, was twice married. Five children were born to the first Mrs. Floyd and to his second wife three children were born, Mrs. Munger being one of the latter number.

Mr. Munger is a loyal member of the republican party and during his active business life he served as supervisor and in various other offices in the township of Scott. For twelve years he served continuously as justice of the peace. He for one term sat in the lower house of the state legislature, namely, 1889-90 and 1890-01. He is a member of A. 0. Heald Post, No. 192, G. A. R., and is now living in well earned rest in his home in Waldo, this county. He is also an Odd Fellow, but is not an active member now, although holding a card from the lodge, having joined in 1873. Mr. Munger is universally respected throughout the county and is one of the oldest among its pioneer citizens. He has always been deeply interested in all issues of a public nature effecting the advancement and well-being of the community in which he lives.


Source

Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL