Gustave Mitwede after many years of successful toil has retired from active business and now resides in Sheboygan at No. 618 South Fourteenth street. He was born in Saxony, Germany, September 24, 1833, and is the son of Henry and Elizabeth (Boetcher) Mitwede, both of whom were natives of Saxony, Germany, and who emigrated to America with their family of three sons in 1851, coming direct to Sheboygan, Wisconsin. Soon after their arrival in the new world the father purchased two hundred and forty acres of land, two hundred acres of which were located in Lima township and forty acres in Wilson township. In the latter township he established his home and engaged in farming for one and one-half years, at the end of which time his death occurred at the age of fifty-two years. He had a family of three sons, Gustave, Louis and August.
Some time after the death of the father his estate was equally divided among his three sons, who continued to remain at the old homestead and were successfully engaged in the operation of their portions of the old farm, the mother continuing to maintain her residence with her sons. In 1868 Louis Mitwede sold his portion of the farm and moved to Waukesha, Wisconsin, where he still lives. The mother continued to reside on the old homestead with Gustave, of this review, and it was while she was on a visit to her son Louis at Waukesha that her death occurred at the age of seventy-two.
August, who also inherited a third of his father's estate, was the father of August Mitwede, of whom a more extended review appears in another portion of this work. Gustave Mitwede was reared in his parents' home and received his earJy education in Germany. He remained under the parental roof and was engaged in work on his father's farm until the time of the latter's death, after which the division of his father's estate took place. His portion of the old homestead consists of eighty acres and is located on section 24. On that property he lived and was successfully engaged in the cultivation of his land from 1851 to 1873. He then sold out and moved to Sheboygan, where he purchased desirable residence property located on South Fourteenth street, on which he built his present home in 1890 and where he now resides.
Mr. Mitwede has been twice married. On November 13, 1856, he wedded Miss Theresa Moenning, a daughter of Frederick and Caroline (Hirsch) Moenning, who emigrated to America from England at an early date. Mrs. Mitwede died April 16, 1895, and on May 27, 1896, Mr. Mitwede was united in marriage to Mrs. Amelia Boehmer, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Duenkel, who were well known pioneers of Sheboygan. Mr. and Mrs. Mitwede are the parents of two children, Lena and Amelia, both of whom are at home.
Mr. Mitwede is one of the well known citizens of Sheboygan county and is a man whose integrity has never been questioned during all his active business life. He has always been identified with every public measure intended to improve the conditions of the people of the community in which he lives and is a man highly esteemed by his friends and acquaintances.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL