Fred C. Miller, an enterprising, industrious and intelligent dairy farmer of Plymouth township, Sheboygan county, is numbered among the sons of Germany who have caught the spirit of progress characteristic of the people of the United States and, manifesting this in connection with the exercise of their sturdy native qualities, have attained an enviable degree of prosperity in business. The family of which he is a representative comes from Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany, and the name was originally spelled Mueller, but was changed to its present form when the father of our subject took up his home in the new world.
The grandfather, Christian Mueller, passed his entire life in the fatherland, and it was his son, Henry, the father of Fred C. Mil1er, who established the family in the new world. Henry Miller was born in Germany in 1825 and there made his home until 1857, in which year he came to America and made his way direct to Sheboygan county, Wisconsin. He located in Greenbush township, purchasing forty acres of timber land, which he at once set about clearing and which he improved and cultivated, converting it into an excellent farming property. In 1867 he sold that land and purchased an eighty acre tract in Plymouth township, but this remained his home for only a year for in 1868 he disposed of that place also and acquired by purchase a tract of similar size on section 19. He continued to make that farm his place of residence throughout his remaining days, his death there occurring in 1894. At that time he was the owner of one hundred and ten acres of highly cultivated land and was numbered among the prosperous and well known farmers of his locality. Before leaving Germany he had been married, in 1852, to Miss Dorathea Selk, who was born in that country on the roth of January, 1832, the place of her nativity being also Mecklenburg-Schwerin. Two children were born unto Mr. and Mrs. Henry Miller in the fatherland, and after their arrival in the new world seven more were added to the household, their names being as follows: John, born in Germany and residing in Osceola, Polk county, Wisconsin; Fred C., of this review; Emma, born in Sheboygan county, who is now the wife of Anton J. Walter, of Plymouth; Henry, of Plymouth, who died in North Dakota in March, 1912; Ida, the wife of William Thiedemann, of Plymouth ; Herman H., also a resident of Plymouth; Lena, who married John Kreuger, of Clear Lake, Polk county, Wisconsin; Charles and William, both of whom make their home in Plymouth.
Fred C. Miller was a little lad of about two years when he was brought by his parents to the United States, and in the schools of Sheboygan county he acquired his education. Reared to farm life, he assisted his father in his agricultural pursuits until he was twenty-one years of age when, in addition to the work which he did on the home farm he also hired out to neighboring farmers, remaining thus engaged until twenty-three years of age. He then went to Illinois and in the following year made his way to North Dakota, where he took up a homestead in Traill county, there remaining for five years. In 1884 he disposed of his property in that state and returned to Sheboygan county, being engaged as a carpenter for two years in Plymouth. In 1886 he bought sixty acres of land on section 29, Plymouth township, to which he later added twenty acres adjoining, and this farm has since remained the scene of his activities. Ambitious and energetic, he has labored earnestly in the development of his property and the passing years have witnessed a marked change in the appearance of the place. He has added all of the improvements on the farm, including modern and up-to-date machinery, erected a large two-story house and built a fine barn and other substantial buildings, and today his place is one of the finely improved and valuable properties of the township. His attention is given exclusively to dairy farming and he raises his own cattle, having on hand a fine herd of graded and registered Holsteins. The output of his dairy is extensive and of excellent quality, a fact which insures its ready sale on the market.
In 1886 Mr. Miller was united in marriage to Miss Mary Schierstedt, a daughter of Gustav and Sophia (Uhlhorn) Schierstedt. The Schierstedt family came originally from Brandenburg, Germany, but later was established near Stettin, Prussia. The Uhlhorn family has always been located in Prussia, where the various representatives of the name followed farming. Gustav Schierstedt learned the cabinetmaker's trade in his native country and before coming to the United States he was married. He landed in New York about 1848, in which city he resided for two years after which he went to Utica, New York. Upon leaving the latter city he came to Sheboygan county where he lived upon a farm for eight years, associated with his brother-in-law. At the end of that period they divided the property and each farmed for himself for twenty-four years in Plymouth where he still resides.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Miller have been born four children, namely: Lenora, Ilda, Florence and Edith, all of whom live at home.
Mr. Miller and his family are members of the Lutheran church, and the family is a prominent one in social circles in its locality. Although he has never been particularly active in political affairs, Mr. Miller has yet served efficiently as a school director, the cause of education finding a warm champion in him, and he also acted as path master of his district for a time. He and his wife are people of high intelligence and excellent character, and their large circle of friends hold them in esteem and honor.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL