George Franklin Miley is one of the well known farmers of Sheboygan county, located on section 15, in Lima township. He was born February 16, 1861, in Lima township, and is the son of Martin and Mary (Lynch) Miley, the former a native of County Roscommon, Ireland, and the latter of County Longford. The maternal grandfather, Jerome Lynch, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, in which he suffered the loss of an arm. The Lynch family in the early days of its history was prominent in the social and political life of Ireland.
Martin Miley, the father, was born December 22, 1817. In 1837 he emigrated to America, settling first at Boston, and was for some time engaged at work in the erection of the Bunker Hill monument. He was married in Boston and in 1848 he came to Sheboygan county, Wisconsin. After making a short stay in the city of Sheboygan he purchased a farm of eighty acres located on section 15 in Lima township, which is now the home of the subject of this review. On that farm the father established his home and in 1852 erected the house which now forms the main part of the dwelling occupied by the present owner of the place. Martin Miley was married August 22, 1847, to Miss Mary Lynch, who was born in County Longford, Ireland, March 12, 1819, and at the age of seven years emigrated to America with her mother and one brother. She came to Sheboygan county with her husband immediately following her marriage and continued to live at their home in Lima township until her death, which occurred December 31, 1887. The death of her husband occurred October 18, 1889.
They were the parents of ten children: Bridget Frances, who became the wife of Frank Mulvey, of Lima township, and passed away July 15, 1895; James N., whose death occurred in Lima township in 1905; Michael M., whose death occurred at Florence, Wisconsin, November 26, 1903; William H., who died at Sheboygan in 1900; Charles J., who passed away on the old homestead at the age of twenty years; Fannie C., who resides with her brother, George Franklin; Elizabeth, the wife of John Koralesky, of Manitowoc; George Franklin, of this review; Charlotte, who became the wife of Gilbert E. Trombla, of Detroit, Michigan, and passed away January 27, 1891, at Sheboygan, Wisconsin; and Alfred, who died at the age of fourteen years.
George F. Miley was reared in his parents' home and received his early education in the public schools of Lima Center, Sheboygan county. At the age of seventeen years he left home and went to Michigan and for two years was engaged in lumbering at Manistee. He then returned to his father's home and was engaged in work on the latter's farm until 1889. In the following year he bought the interest of the heirs and has since continued to live on the old homestead and has been successfully engaged in general farming. Mr. Miley is an exclusive breeder of Guernsey cattle, and he is well known over the county for the success he has had in this line.
On February 7, 1893, at St. Rose's Catholic church in Lima township Mr. Miley was united in marriage to Miss Crescentia Groeneveldt, a daughter of John Groeneveldt, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Miley are the parents of eight children: Charlotte, aged eighteen, who is attending the Manitowoc high school and will graduate with the class of 1912; Alfred, aged sixteen; Georgiana, aged fifteen; Raymond, aged thirteen; Miles and Giles, twins, aged eleven years; Leonard, aged four; and Jerome, aged two years.
Mr. Miley is a member of Camp No. 1073, M. W. A., of Sheboygan Falls. He is affiliated with the democratic party, but in local affairs is not influenced by party dictates. He and his family are devout members of St. Rose's Catholic church of Lima Center. Mr. Miley is one of the respected citizens of Sheboygan county and is a man whose assistance is always to be relied upon to advance in every laudable way the educational, religious and social conditions of the people among whom he resides.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL