Eugene Mcintyre, who is a native son of Sheboygan county and widely and favorably known within its borders, has for more than four decades been successfully engaged in the grain and lumber business at Waldo. It was in Lyndon township that his birth occurred, his natal day being May 29, 1847. His father, David Mcintyre, was born in New Berlin, Chenango county, New York, in 1819, being the youngest of the twelve children of Nathan and Margaret (Sears) Mcintyre.
Both the father and father-in-law of Nathan Mclntyre participated in the Revolutionary war and were present at Burgoyne's surrender. The paternal grandfather of our subject was born in Vermont but eventually removed to the state of New York and in 1823 settled in Cayuga county, where David Mcintyre grew to manhood. The latter began earning his own livelihood when a youth of fourteen, following various occupations but working principally in the woods. On the 17th of March, 1845, he wedded Miss Paulina Stewart, who was born in New York in 1817, and who was a lady of Scotch descent. In the year of their marriage Mr. and Mrs. David Mcintyre made their way from the Empire state to Sheboygan, Wisconsin, where they remained for a few months. They then came to Lyndon township, Mr. Mcintyre taking up eighty acres of government land on section 20, about three miles west of the present site of the village of Waldo.
After clearing the timber therefrom he began its improvement and cultivation and as time passed extended the boundaries of his place until it embraced two hundred acres. On that farm he continued to reside until about 1890, when he put aside the active work of the fields and took up his abode in Waldo, where he spent the remainder of his life in honorable retirement. In his passing the community lost one of its most respected and prominent pioneer settlers and one who had done his full share in the work of early development and upbuilding. Unto him and his wife were born four children, as follows: Josephine, who was the first white child born in Lyndon township and who is the deceased wife of D. B. Harmon of O'Brien county, Iowa; Eugene, of this review; David, who is living on the old homestead in Lyndon township; and Amelia, the deceased wife of J.C. Peck, of Lyndon township.
Eugene Mcintyre obtained his education in the public schools of his native township and also studied law in the office of Bentley and Seaman. He was admitted to the bar but has never been engaged in active practice. In 1871 he came to Waldo and embarked in the grain and lumber business in association with his father-in-law, Norman C. Harmon, who is now deceased, having passed away on the 21st of December, 1909. Mr. Mcintyre is now conducting his interests independently and has won a gratifying measure of success in his business undertakings. He assisted in the organization of the Waldo Canning Company and has long been numbered among the representative and valued citizens of his community.
In 1871 Mr. Mcintyre was united in marriage to Miss Rosabelle C. Harmon, a daughter of Norman C. Harmon, a sketch of whom appears on another page of this work. Mr. and Mrs. Mcintyre have five children. Alice E. is the wife of Rev. P. C. Wright, of Norwich, Connecticut, and the mother of four children, Charles Eugene, Burchard, Stuart and Harmon. Harmon L., who is a resident of Seattle, Washington, has been twice married, his first union being with Miss Ida Bundy, by whom he had one child, Cora May. After her demise he wedded Miss Annabelle Farries, by whom he has one child, Jean."Nina C. is the wife of Dr. Charles A. Wright, of Delavan, Wisconsin, and has two children, Miriam and Charles. Frank D. Mcintyre is a resident of Seattle, Washington. Eugene L. is an attorney in Milwaukee. He is married to Jessie Baldwin. Both sons on the coast are engaged in the wholesale hay and grain business.
In politics Mr. Mcintyre has always been a stanch republican. He has served as chairman of the board of supervisors in Lyndon township and in 1880 ably represented his district in the state legislature. In 1900 he was appointed supervisor of census for the fifth district of Wisconsin by William McKinley. His business and political records are equally commendable and in other lines of life he has displayed qualities which have insured him a warm place in the affection of his friends.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL