Rev. Charles T. Martin has for almost four decades continuously served as pastor of the Emanuel Reformed church of Herman township and his labors have proven a potent element in the moral and spiritual growth of the community. His birth occurred in Prussia, Germany, on the 22d of October, 1837, his parents being Ludwig and Henrietta (Busche) Martin, who were natives of Germany and crossed the Atlantic to the United States in 1856. The family home was established in Ohio, where Ludwig Martin was employed as a stone-cutter in marble works. His demise occurred in 1876, while his wife was called to her final rest four years later.
In the acquirement of an education Charles T. Martin attended the district schools of the fatherland and also studied with private tutors for a time. Having determined to devote his life to the service of the Master, he studied theology under the direction of Dr. M. Stern. D. D., in Galion, Ohio, for a period of three and one-half years. He then took charge of a church near Galion and next served in the capacity of assistant pastor at Louisville, Kentucky, for one year. On the expiration of that period he went to Lanesville, Harrison county, Indiana, and subsequently spent six years and eight months at Terre Haute, Indiana, while during the following two years he preached at Evansville, that state. In the fall of 1873 he came to Franklin, Wisconsin, became pastor of the Emanuel Reformed church of Herman township and has here remained continuously since. Under his pastorate the congregation has continually grown in numbers and the influence of the church has been extended in scope and power.
A new house of worship was erected in 1911 and dedicated on the 12th of May, 1912. Dr. Martin belongs to the Synod of the Northwest and is widely recognized as an able servant of the Master, respected by all and especially esteemed by the members of his flock. He taught pedagogy in the Mission House College for thirty-two or thirty-three years and still preaches the gospel at the advanced age of seventy-five.
In 1862, in Ohio, Rev. Martin was united in marriage to Miss Dorothy D. Hocker, a native of Baden, Germany. Unto them were born eight children, as follows: Louis, who prepared for the ministry; Anna, the wife of Rev. C. H. Schneider, of Makley, Indiana; Henry, who is a resident of Chicago; Minnie, at home; Louise and Lisette, who teach music and are also still under the parental roof; and two who are deceased. The wife and mother was called to her final rest in 1873 and the following year Rev. Martin was again married, his second union being with Miss Matilda Pott, a native of Sheboygan, Wisconsin, and a daughter of Gottfried P. and Anna Catherine (Feld) Pott, both of whom were born in Germany. Gottfried P. Pott, an agriculturist by occupation, emigrated to America in 1848 and took up his abode in this county. He passed away in 1882, having for three years survived his wife, whose demise occurred in 1879. Rev. C. T. and Matilda (Pott) Martin have one daughter, Emma, who is the wife of Rev. George Grether, a minister of the Reformed church at Manitowoc.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL