August Lutze

August Lutze is one of the prominent representatives of insurance interests in Sheboygan where he is conducting business as a partner in the firm of Ernest Lutze Sons Company. A loan department has also been established and both branches of the business are proving profitable owing to the careful direction, keen insight and indefatigable energy of the members of the company.

Of the city in which he makes his home, August Lutze is a native son, his birth having here occurred June 5, 1888. His father, Ernest Lutze was born in Ilsenburg, Hanover, Germany, November 1, 1851, and was about four years of age when brought to America by his parents, Christian and Sophia (Prinz) Lutze. On reaching American shores the journey was continued across the country to Sheboygan county. Christian Lutze was a millwright by trade and erected the first linseed oil mill in this section of the state. There were no nails or iron used and yet its joinings made a perfect construction.

Christian Lutze continued a resident of Sheboygan county to the time of his death, which occurred in 1887 when he was eighty-five years of age. His son, Ernest Lutze was reared in this county amid the primitive conditions of pioneer life, for the work of development and improvement had scarcely been begun when the family home was established in Sheboygan county. He attended the public schools and after putting aside his text-books began learning the trades of carpentering and ship building. He became an expert workman in those lines, and followed his occupation until 1887 when he withdrew from that connection and established an insurance business. He was one of the oldest insurance men of Sheboygan at the time of his demise, which occurred May 17, 1907. He was reared in the Lutheran church and his life, ever honorable and upright, was in harmony with his professions. His political allegiance was given to the democratic party, and he was one of its recognized local leaders. For seventeen terms he filled the office of supervisor and was serving as alderman of the city at the time of his death. He labored untiringly for the interests of his party and principles which constituted its platform and his practical efforts were an element in promoting its growth and establishing its influence.

Ernest Lutze was united in marriage to Anna Kleinhaus who was born in Westphalia, Germany, February 7, 1853, a daughter of William and Marianna (Grube) Kleinhaus. Mrs. Lutze came to America in 1870 when a young lady of seventeen years, making the trip to Sheboygan with friends. By her marriage she became the mother of eight children of whom five are yet living: Marie, at home; Charles F., a teacher in the public schools of Sheboygan, who married Alma Gerbing of Mosel township and has a daughter, Gertrude; Ernest who is acting secretary of the Winter Lumber Company and married Alma Ahlers, by whom he has one child, Margaret; August; and Sophia who is a high school pupil.

At the usual age, August Lutze entered the public schools, passing through the consecutive grades until he left the high school to enter upon business life. He was first employed at office work as bookkeeper and stenographer for two years and subsequently he succeeded his father in business, becoming a member of the firm of Ernest Lutze Sons Company in the conduct of a general fire insurance and loan business. This company writes a large amount of insurance annually and in the loan department its business is steadily increasing. Mr. Lutze recognizes the fact that close application and unfaltering energy are indispensable elements of success and upon those qualities as a basis he is building his prosperity. He resides with his mother and they attend the Lutheran church. The family from pioneer times has been a prominent and honored one in this county and the business record of August Lutze adds new lustre to an untarnished family name.


Source

Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL