Albert Leonhardt has his place of business at Riverside Park and the same is being conducted under his personal supervision. His birth occurred in Sheboygan on the 9th of September, 1881, his parents being August and Augusta (Quasius) Leonhardt. In 1853, at the age of seven years, the father emigrated to America with his parents. The family established their home in Sheboygan, where August Leonhardt was reared and received his early education in the German schools. At the age of twenty-one he became a locomotive and stationary engineeer and for eleven years was employed as engineer on the boats sailing the Great Lakes. Retiring from this business, he purchased land in Sheboygan on which he erected a building for saloon purposes. Later he also purchased ground on Michigan avenue, where he built a livery stable. After giving his attention to these two enterprises for a period of ten years he disposed of both properties to his financial advantage, selling his saloon property to Henry Hermann and the livery establishment to Schaeder & Laebel. This firm continued in the livery business for six years, when they resold the property to Leonhardt & Westerbeck. Six months later Fred Leonhardt, a son of August Leonhardt, purchased Mr. Westerbeck's interest and the business was thereafter conducted under the firm name of Leonhardt & Son until 1905, at which date Fred Leonhardt purchased his father's interest and continued the business. August Leonhardt, after disposing of his interest in the livery business to his son, reengaged in the saloon business on the north side, on Fifteenth street.
Mr. Leonhardt was married to Miss Augusta Quasius, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Christian Quasius, natives of Germany, who emigrated to America at an early date and who were among the early pioneers of Sheboygan county. The demise of Mr. Quasius occurred about eleven years ago, while his wife was called to her final rest about twenty years ago.
Unto August and Augusta (Quasius) Leonhardt were born thirteen children, seven of whom are still living. Clara, living in Sheboygan, is the wife of Herman Gehr, by whom she has nine children. Frederick, engaged in the livery business, is married and has two children. George, a barber by occupation, has his own shop in Sheboygan. He is married and has two children. Albert, of this review, is the next in order of birth. Hilda, living in Sheboygan, is the wife of Robert Hein, by whom she has two children. Mr. Hein is a machinist by trade. Veronica is still living with her parents. Robert, also still under the parental roof, is a druggist in the service of the North Side Drug Company.
Albert Leonhardt was reared at home, receiving his education in the public schools of Sheboygan. On the completion of his school life he became an apprenticed tailor, learning that trade, which he followed for four years. Retiring from this vocation, he became an employee of his father. In 1907 he left his father's employ and engaged in work for Mr. Klewe, with whom he remained for the three following years. At the conclusion of this period he purchased the property and business known as Riverside Park and has since conducted this popular summer amusement park.
In 1906 Mr. Leonhardt was married to Miss Olga Balke, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. August Balke, both natives of Germany, who emigrated to this country about twenty-six years ago. To this union two children have been born, one of whom died in infancy. The other, Norma, is living at home with her parents.
Mr. Leonhardt is a member of the United Aid Society and also belongs to the Rangers. He is well known throughout the city and county of which he has been a resident since childhood.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL