William F. Langner owns and operates a farm of eighty-two acres, located on section 17, Lima township, which is endeared to him by the associations and memories of earliest childhood. It was upon this place that he was born November 21, 1867. His father, Frederick Langner, was born June 12, 1827, at Schlabitz by Militsch, in the province of Silesia, Germany. He was a son of Charles Langner, who was also a native of the same town and came to Sheboygan county in the spring of 1859, the year following the arrival of his son Frederick. They lived together for a short time and then the father purchased a farm on the Dye road. Subsequently he removed to Sheboygan Falls where he resided until his death fifteen years later. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Susanna Benisch, was also a native of Schlabitz and died in GermanY before the emigration of her husband to the new world.
Frederick Langner was educated in the parochial schools of his native country and was thirty years of age when he came to Wisconsin in the spring of 1858. He made his way direct to Sheboygan and immediately settled in Lima township, purchasing a farm on sections 16 and 17 where his sons William and Frederick now live. There he carried on general agricultural pursuits until 1899 when he left the farm, selling the property to his two sons. He then retired and removed to Sheboygan Falls where he lived until November, 1911, when he took up his abode with his granddaughter, Mrs. Mohnsaw near Sheboygan Falls. His political support has been given to the democratic party since he became a naturalized citizen and his religious faith is that of the Lutheran church. He was married in Germany in 1854, to Miss Caroline Gierzemehl and they became the parents of six children: Fred, engaged in farming in Lima township; William F.; Rose, the wife of John Dankwart, both of whom are now deceased; Caroline, who died at the age of fourteen years; Mary, who passed away at the age of ten; and Augusta, who became the wife of Henry Hartman and died a year later.
The education of William F. Langner was obtained in the district schools of Five Corners, Lima township, which he attended until he had mastered the common branches. After leaving school he gave his undivided attention to the cultivation of the home farm, in the operation of which he assisted until he was twenty-two. He then left the parental roof and for two years thereafter worked out as a farm hand, but subsequently engaged in agricultural pursuits on his own account. In 1898, he bought the old homestead and during the intervening years has wrought many and extensive improvements in the place, which is now one of the attractive and valuable properties of the section. Practically all of the buildings now in use have been erected during Mr. Langner's ownership, while at various times he has installed many modern conveniences and appliances about the place, which is equipped with everything deemed essential to the progressive agriculturist of the present day. Dairying has been his specialty and he is milking fifteen high grade Holstein cows.
Mr. Langner was twice married, his first union being in 1896 with Miss Ida Frerk, a daughter of John Frerk, who is now deceased but was for many years a well known agriculturist of Lima township. Three children were born of this marriage, as follows: Amo, a youth of fifteen who is attending the Sheboygan Falls high school; Herbert, who is eleven; and Hertha, nine years of age. The two latter are students of the district school. The wife and mother passed away on August 27, 1906, and on June 14, 1908, Mr. Langner married Mrs. Minnie Minstermann, of Sheboygan Falls, where their marriage occurred.
The family attend the Lutheran church of Sheboygan Falls, in which Mr. and Mrs. Langner hold membership, and politically he is a democrat. He and his wife enjoy favorable acquaintance among the people of Lima township and Mr. Langner numbers among his stanchest friends many of the comrades of his boyhood, which fact bespeaks his sterling worth, loyalty and high principles.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL