Charles Kroeger was born in Westphalia, Germany, on the 29th of June, 1848, one of seven children, his parents being John Albert and Louisa Wilhelmina Kroeger, also natives of that country. The father died in Germany at the age of seventy-two years. Charles Kroeger emigrated to America in April, 1867, settling in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he remained for one year, working at the trade of a carriage and wagon maker. On the 9th of April, 1868, he came to Sheboygan Falls, here being employed in the Sufelt wagon factory for a period of five years. Severing his connection with that concern, he engaged in the same line of business for himself and extended his investments in the construction of a sawmill, which enabled him to manufacture lumber for his own use. In this business he is still engaged, having taken into the business, in joint partnership, his son Fred.
In March, 1881, Mr. Kroeger was united in wedlock to Miss Mary Meyepeter, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Meyepeter, both natives of Germany. They emigrated to America, settling in Missouri on a farm. Mr. and Mrs. Kroeger are the parents of four children. Ernest R., who resides in Calumet, Michigan, is married and has one daughter. Ella is the wife of Otto Gabe, who is engaged in railroad work. Mr. and Mrs. Gabe have one daughter. Fred lives at home and is associated in business with his father. Frank, also still under the parental roof, is an employee of the American Express Company.
Fraternally Mr. Kroeger is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Sheboygan Falls. He has been an active and successful business man and during his business career has maintained the highest standard of integrity. His goods bear the stamp of reliable and honest construction, and to the community at large his name is a guarantee for value received whenever an article manufactured at his plant finds its way into public service.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL