E. P. Kolberg is proprietor of the Kolberg Steam Laundry, the largest enterprise of the kind in Sheboygan. Its location is at 816 New York avenue, and Mr. Kolberg has conducted the business continuously since 1892.
In 1887 he came to Sheboygan. He was born in Norway, February 3, 1864, his parents being John H. and Sorine Kolberg, who in 1869 left the land of the midnight sun and sailed for America. On reaching the eastern coast they at once made preparation to continue their journey into the interior of the country and settled at Bear Mills near La Crosse, Wisconsin. Later a removal was made to Black River Falls where John H. Kolberg engaged in the manufacture of oils for medicinal purposes. He had previously manufactured burning oil from pine, but the discovery of petroleum had obliged him to withdraw from the business in which he was engaged. He died at Black River Falls in 1881 when fifty-eight years of age and his wife passed away at Phoenix, Arizona, after which her remains were brought back for interment by the side of her husband in the Black River Falls cemetery.
E. P. Kolberg was a lad of five years when he came to Wisconsin and at the age of twelve he left school for the financial condition of the family rendered it imperative that he provide for his own support. He became a clerk in a general store and the proceeds of his labor went toward household expenses in his father's home. For about five years he was employed at clerking in Black River Falls and then came to Sheboygan where he entered the employ of Emil Keller. Later he became a salesman in a clothing house of Milwaukee but afterward returned to Sheboygan and went upon the road for the Vollrath Manufacturing Company. He then engaged in the laundry business for a year and thereafter once more entered the employ of the Vollrath Manufacturing Company. Later, however, he again established himself in the laundry business in which he has met with substantial success, having now the largest enterprise of this kind in the city. His plant is splendidly equipped with modern machinery, much of the work being done by motor and steam power. Employment is given to thirty people which fact indicates something of the growth of his patronage, inasmuch as two people did all the work when he started in the business.
Mr. Kolberg was married in Sheboygan, November 2, 1891, to Miss Adele Mueller, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry G. Mueller, her father formerly being president of the H. G. Mueller Manufacturing Company and an old and honored resident of Muellersville which was named for him. A more extended sketch of Mr. Mueller appears in another place of this work.
Mr. and Mrs. Kolberg have two sons, Victor and Everett, who are attending school. The family reside at 722 Michigan avenue, in an attractive home which Mr. Kolberg purchased in 1902. The parents are members of the Congregational church and are much interested in the progress and welfare of the city along material, intellectual as well as moral lines. Mr. Kolberg holds membership with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Knights of Pythias, the Fraternal Order of Eagles and the Modern Woodmen of America. He is also a charter member of the Sheboygan Country Club and he manifests attractive personal qualities which have rendered him popular in a large social circle while his sterling business traits have gained for him the high regard, confidence and goodwill of all with whom he has come in contact through his business dealings. He deserves much credit for what he has accomplished and his prosperity may be attributed to his unfaltering perseverance.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL