George Jurss, the owner of a well improved farm of one hundred and twenty acres in Lyndon township, has been a lifelong resident of Sheboygan county and has devoted his attention to general agricultural pursuits throughout his entire business career. His birth occurred in Lyndon township on the 1st of December, 1873, his parents being Frederick and Mary (Rhode) Jurss, who were natives of Germany, the former born in 1832 and the latter in 1845. Frederick Jurss emigrated to the United States about 1857 and first took up his abode in Sheboygan county, Wisconsin, but after a short time removed to Illinois, operating a farm in Cook county, that state. At the time of the Civil war he enlisted for service in the Twelfth Illinois Cavalry, remaining with that command for four years and eleven months. After the close of hostilities between the north and the south he returned to Cook county but subsequently disposed of his farm and took up his abode in Chicago, where he was engaged in teaming for five years and where he was married.
He next came to Sheboygan county, this state, purchasing and locating on a farm of eighty acres west of the place where our subject now resides. In 1888 he purchased the farm of one hundred and twenty acres which is now in possession of his son George, devoting his attention to its operation for a period of fifteen years or until 1903, when he put aside the active work of the fields and removed to Plymouth, where his demise occurred in 1911. He is survived by his widow, who had emigrated to this country with her parents and settled in Illinois. Mrs. Jurss has been twice married and had one son by her first husband. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Jurss were born two children, twins, the brother of our subject having died in infancy.
George J urss acquired his education in the schools of his native township and after putting aside his text-books assisted his father in the operation of the home farm until the latter retired in 1903. Prior to that time, however, he had received the property from his father and he has since devoted his attention to its further cultivation and improvement, the well tilled fields responding readily to the care and labor which he bestows upon them. During the years in which the place has been in his possession he has erected a handsome new residence as well as substantial barns and all necessary outbuildings for the shelter of grain and stock. He keeps from twenty to twenty-five head of high-grade cattle and has met with a gratifying measure of success in his undertakings as an agriculturist.
In 1893 Mr. Jurss was united in marriage to Miss Louisa Miller, a native of Germany and a daughter of Carl Miller, who was likewise born in the fatherland. Mrs. Jurss came to America about 1883, when a maiden of ten years. By her marriage she has become the mother of five children, as follows: one who died in infancy; Fred, whose birth occurred in 1896; Benno, whose natal year was 1898; Ella, who was born in 1901; and George Jr., born June 11, 1912.
In politics Mr. Jurss is a stanch republican, loyally supporting the men and measures of that party. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Lutheran church at Plymouth. Honorable in business, loyal in citizenship, charitable in thought, kindly in action, true to every trust confided to his care, Mr. Jurss commands the respect of a large circle of friends and acquaintances.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL