Dr. Junck is one of the successful resident practicing physicians of Sheboygan and is also secretary and treasurer of the North Side Drug Company of that city. His offices have been located at the corner of Twelfth street and Michigan avenue since 1900 and his residence at 426 Huron street. He was born in the city of Sheboygan, May 16, 1872, and is the son of Martin and Emma Junck. His father emigrated to America from Recklinghausen, Rhine Province, Prussia, in 1848. On reaching Sheboygan he became an employe of one of the large sawmills of that city and later he became the proprietor of a contracting and building business of his own, in which he continued for the remainder of his life. His death occurred on the 7th day of May, 1911, at the age of eighty-six years. He was buried in the family lot, in the North Side Catholic cemetery. To Mr. and Mrs. Junck the following children were born: Lucie, the widow of Charles Yokum, residing in Sheboygan; Ottilie, the wife of Lawrence Gottschalk, who is engaged in the grocery business in Sheboygan; Ida, the wife of Kosmos Kistner, engaged in the bakery business; Emma, the wife of John Weinkauf, a retired grocer; Edmund, a partner in the Sheboygan Woodworking Company; Dr. John A., of Sheboygan; Otto, engaged in the plumbing business in Sheboygan; Agnes, the wife of Joseph Jetzer, engaged in the retail butcher business; and Anton, by trade and occupation a plumber.
Dr. John A. Junck received his early education in the public schools in the city of Sheboygan, completing his elementary education at fourteen, after which he became an apprenticed carpenter, continuing in that occupation until he perfected his knowledge of the trade which he afterward followed for a period of four and one half years, during which time he also became a student of the University of Indiana. During his student years he was enabled to meet his college and university expenses by working at his trade during the interims of the school periods, giving his time largely to his studies in the winter time of each season up to his graduation, which occurred in 1900 at the University of Indiana, from which he was graduated with the degree of 1L D., in the class of that year. Immediately following his graduation in medical studies he returned to his native city and established himself in the general practice of medicine and surgery and in his chosen vocation he has met with continued and gratifying success. Dr. Junck in addition to his professional business is the secretary and treasurer of the North Side Drug Company, of Sheboygan and a member of the board of directors of that corporation, which is in every way a high-grade and prosperous commercial house.
Dr. Junck was united in wedlock to Miss Lydia Albers, June 3, 1905. Mrs. Junck is the daughter of Captain W. T. and Mathilda Albers. Her father is a veteran of the Civil war, having served in the Thirty-fifth Iowa Company, of Volunteer Infantry. He entered the service as first lieutenant and was honorably discharged at the close of the Civil conflict as brevetted captain of the company in which he enlisted. He passed away on January 21, 1903, at the age of sixty-three, and his remains were interred in the family lot in the North Side Catholic cemetery. To Dr. and Mrs. John Junck three children have been born: Willis, Myrtle and Vivian, all of whom are still under the parental roof. Dr. Junck is independent in politics, giving his support to the measures and to the men who represent, to his mind, the best interests of the people. He is a member of the American Medical Association, a member of the Knights of Columbus and also of the Catholic Knights.
Dr. John A. Junck as a resident of the city of Sheboygan has reversed the ancient tradition that "a prophet is not without honor save in his own country," by establishing himself in the practice of his profession in the city of his birth and in which he grew to maturity and where he has spent the major portion of his life. Returning to his native home he at once opened his office and entered upon his chosen vocation, as physician and surgeon. From the beginning of his professional career he has continued to grow in the good-will and confidence of his early associates and enjoys the reputation of being one among the successful physicians of his native city. His practice having steadily increased from the beginning has long since reached the proportions of a professional business which commands his entire time and attention. He is deeply interested in all measures calculated to advance the moral and educational betterment of the people in his county and state.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL