W. F. Horstmeier, D. D., pastor of the German Reformed church at Sheboygan, Wisconsin, was born in Prussia, Germany, October 30, 1850. He received his preliminary education in the excellent schools of the fatherland and when sixteen years of age emigrated to the new world.
After his arrival in this country, determining to give his life to the ministry, he went as a student to the university at Tiffin, Ohio, a college conducted under the auspices of the Reformed Church in the United States. After pursuing his studies there and being licensed to preach he entered his first pastorate at Millville, Ohio, where he remained as pastor of the church for three years. His next field was at Terre Haute, Indiana, where he remained for six years. He then went to St. Louis, Missouri, where for twenty years he labored with the denomination of that city. In April, 1907, having accepted a call as pastor to the German Reformed church of Sheboygan, Wisconsin, he settled here where he has since remained, ministering to the spiritual needs of his congregation.
Rev. W. F. Horstmeier was married in 1880 at Louisville, Kentucky, to Miss Emma Marcus, a lady of German parentage, and to them have been born seven children: Calvin, acting in the capacity of sales agent for a coal company at St. Louis; Herman, who is married and occupies a position as bookkeeper in the circuit court at St. Louis; Flora, who wedded Carl Hirstieus, a civil engineer of Cleveland, Ohio, and captain of the Cleveland militia; William, a student at the Mission Home, where he is preparing for missionary work; Marcus, attending school at Ripon, who expects soon to enroll as a student in the Denver School of Mines; Clara, a student at Heidelberg University, at Tiffin, Ohio; and Paul, yet at home.
Mr. Horstmeier since being identified with the religious life of Sheboygan county has become well and favorably known among all classes. He is a loyal worker in the professional calling to which he is devoting his life and in the extension of the influence and usefulness of his denomination has met with gratifying success. The same devotion to the duties which devolved upon him in his high and arduous calling which characterized his unusually long pastorate in St. Louis is noticeable in his work in the Master's vineyard at Sheboygan. His professional standing throughout the county is recognized and his influence and the impress of his personality is marked throughout religious circles in the community.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL