William Albert Hilpertshauser is treasurer of the Globe Foundry and Machine Company, which was organized in 1903 and has since conducted a large and growing business in the building of gasoline engines and feed cutters. Their output is today large, indicating capable and successful management on the part of the officers of the company.
William A. Hilpertshauser was born in Sheboygan, March 19, 1867, a son of Jacob and Anna (Schweitzer) Hilpertshauser, both of whom were natives of the Canton of St. Gallen, Switzerland, in which country they were reared and married. They were parents of one child when they emigrated to the new world in 1854, establishing their home in St. Louis, Missouri, where the father worked at the carpenter's trade for two years. He then went with his family to Chicago, in 1856 came to Sheboygan and later established his home at Howards Grove, Wisconsin. He returned, however, to Sheboygan, where he worked at carpentering and contracting, being identified with building operations in this city to the time of his death, which occurred February 8, 1890, when he was sixty years of age. He was a member of the Reformed church and was very active in politics as an advocate of democratic principles. His patriotic spirit was aroused at the time of the Civil war and he enlisted in the Forty-fifth Wisconsin Infantry for active service during which he was wounded in an engagement. His widow still survives him at the advanced age of eighty-three years. Of their family of ten children only three are now living: John Jacob, who is superintendent of the Globe Foundry and Machine Company; William A., of this review; and George, who is engaged in the contracting business in Sheboygan.
When his school days were over William A. Hilpertshauser began learning the moulder's trade as an apprentice. He served in that capacity for three years in Sheboygan and in 1884 went to Chicago, where he worked at his trade until 1893, when he retuned to Sheboygan, where he has since made his home and engaged in business. From 1895 until 1903 he served as foreman of the moulding shop of the P. H. Meyer Company, which concern was succeeded by the Globe Foundry and Machine Company. He and his elder brother, who organized the latter company in 1903, have ever since successfully conducted its business. They now have a large and splendidly equipped plant for the building of gasoline engines and feed cutters and their output is shipped extensively throughout the United States, their trade extending to almost every portion of the country. The business has been built up along substantial lines and the employment of the most honorable methods has also been a strong feature in the success which has come to them.
In 1895 Mr. Hilpertshauser was united in marriage to Miss Hattie Ahrens, who was born in the town of Mosel, Sheboygan county, a daughter of Christopher and Annie (Knabe) Ahrens, the former a farmer of Mosel. Mr. and Mrs. Hilpertshauser are now parents of five children: Julia, aged fourteen years, and Robert, aged thirteen years, both at school; and Johann, Eugene and Margaret, aged respectively ten, eight and two years.
In religious faith the parents are identified with the Reformed church and fraternally Mr. Hilpertshauser is connected with the Modern Woodmen of America. Practically his entire life has been passed in this city, which he still makes his home, and here he has so directed his labors as to win not only a handsome competence but the high regard of his fellowmen. His business activity has been an important feature in industrial circles here and at the same time has brought him a gratifying individual return.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL