Eugene A. Hickey

Eugene A. Hickey is a well known citizen of Sheboygan who for a number of years has been connected with the post office in which he now holds the position of general delivery clerk. He is also well known in military circles, being a first lieutenant of Company C, Second Regiment, of the Wisconsin National Guard. Attractive social qualities and sterling traits of character have made him popular and gained him high regard throughout the city and county. He was born on a farm near Cedarsburg, Wisconsin, September 3, 1880. The family name indicates his Irish lineage. His grandfather, John D. Hickey, was a native of Ireland and following his arrival in the new world took up his abode upon a farm called Poplar Hill, not far from Cedarsburg. Unto him and his wife, Mrs. Rose Hickey, was born a son to whom they gave the name of John Edward who is the father of our subject. His birth occurred in Taunton, Massachusetts, and he was but a lad in his teens when he enlisted for service in the Civil war.

The family had in the meantime removed to Wisconsin and he enrolled at Port Washington as a member of Company I, First Wisconsin Heavy Artillery, which was attached to the Army of the Potomac. He did active duty for a considerable period and participated in a number of hotly contested engagements. In 1890 he came to Sheboygan as manager for the Illinois Leather Company, which position he continued to fill until the plant was removed to Milwaukee. Later he lived retired to the time of his death, which occurred in 1901, when he was fifty-three years of age. His wife bore the maiden name of Mary V. Ploeckelman and was born in Manitowoc county. She is now living with her son, Eugene, at the age of fifty-four years.

The family numbered five children, of whom the subject of this review is the eldest, the others being: Alice G., a registered nurse of Milwaukee; Rose, a sister of the order of St. Agnes, now teaching in Houghton, Michigan; Faye, who is married to R. S. Martin, and resides at Milwaukee, Wisconsin; and John J., who is connected with the Erie City Iron Works at Burlington, Iowa. Eugene A. Hickey started out to earn his own living when his school days were over and accepted employment with the Sheboygan Chair Company, spending seven years in the finishing room. Later he was with the Crocker Furniture Company for five years and while thus engaged he took the civil service examination for the postal service. He was then appointed substitute clerk and in October, 1900, was given a regular clerkship which he holds to the present time. He has worked his way upward in this connection and is a trusted and valued employee in the postoffice, being among those whose carefully systematized labors have made the office largely a model one in the promptness and regularity of the work done and the nature of the service rendered the public.

Mr. Hickey was married in 1902 to Miss Anna Pelze, who was born in this county, and is a daughter of Alois and Mary (Kropp) Pelze, the former now deceased but the latter still living. Mr. and Mrs. Hickey are parents of three daughters, Lucille, Rose and Alice, aged respectively nine, six and two years. Mr. Hickey was reared in the Catholic faith and is a communicant of that church. Of the Knights of Columbus he is a prominent member, serving now as deputy grand knight. He was also secretary of the United Aid Society of Sheboygan, a very strong organization. He belongs likewise to the Sons of Veterans at Sheboygan of which he has served as commander, and his further interest in military affairs is indicated by the fact that he is now actively associated with the Wisconsin National Guard. In 1900 he was elected second lieutenant of Company C, Second Regiment, and has since been promoted to the rank of first lieutenant. In these different connections Mr. Hickey is well and favorably known and Sheboygan numbers him among her representative citizens.


Source

Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL