Charles F. Heald

Charles F. Heald, secretary of the White Wagon Works at Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin, manufacturers of coaster wagons and sleighs, was born April 21, 1875, in Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin a son of Benjamin and Mary (James) Heald, the former of whom is a native of Maine and the latter of Wisconsin.

The father served in the Federal army in 1863, in which he was first lieutenant of Company K, Ninth Maine Infantry. He was discharged on account of sickness, after which he removed to Onion River, in Sheboygan county, where he purchased his brother Abner's estate and conducted a flour mill for about two and a half years. He then disposed of his milling property and settled in Sheboygan Falls, going into partnership with G. H. Brickner in the woolen mill business there. He continued thus until in 1887, when he purchased the flour mills and became postmaster, a position which he held four years, or until the time President Cleveland was elected. He was then elected clerk of the county court, a position which he held for two terms, after which he lived a retired life up to the time of his death, which occurred April 14, 1907, his remains being buried in the cemetery of his home city.

In 1903 Abner 0. Heald, a brother of Charles F. Heald, became interested with 0. C. Trowbridge in the White Wagon Works, which up to that time had been owned and operated by Mr. White and his business associate, H. 0. Schwalbe. The business was conducted by those gentlemen until in 1909, when Mr. White and Mr. Schwalbe sold out and Charles F. Heald, the subject of this review, became interested in the concern. The institution was then reorganized and incorporated with Abner Heald as president; Charles F. Heald, secretary; and 0. C. Trowbridge, vice president and treasurer. A good business is being done by the concern in which about forty hands are employed and the output is shipped to all parts of the United States, Canada and foreign countries.

Mr. Heald chose as his life companion and helpmate Miss Sarah Van Ouwerkirk, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Van Ouwerkirk, both natives of Holland. To Mr. and Mrs. Heald four sons were born, all of whom are attending school, Benjamin F., Abner A., Charles J. and James J. Although never very active in politics, Mr. Heald gives his allegiance to the democracy, has been deputy county court clerk for ten years and also served as under sheriff. He has also been a member of the village board.

In his fraternal relations he belongs to the Beavers' Reserve Fund Fraternity, the Fraternal Order of Eagles, and the United Aid Society. In his capacity as secretary of the company of which he is a member as well as in the labors along other lines in the interests of that concern he is a valuable and efficient man. The growth of the business and its increasing profits are attributable in no small degree to his untiring energy, the best that is in him being given to the promotion and successful conduct of the business. He is popular in social and fraternal circles as well as in the business and commercial councils of the city. Having long been a resident of the community he is well known and is held in high esteem by a large number of acquaintances.


Source

Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL