Milton E. Hanchett is the general manager of the S. D. Hanchett Furniture Company, a retail furniture and undertaking establishment located at 424-426 North Eighth street and also has charge of the undertaking department of the firm. He has been directing the affairs of the firm since 1908. His birth occurred in Sheboygan on the 5th of April, 1880, his parents being S. D. and Josephine (Stoakes) Hanchett.
S. D. Hanchett is of English extraction, having first settled in America in the New England states. He is the founder and president of the S. D. Hanchett Furniture Company, having established that business in the year 1881, it being the oldest concern of its kind in the city of Sheboygan. Mr. Hanchett removed from Richford, Tioga county, New York, settling first at Sheboygan Falls in 1858, from which place he removed to the city of Sheboygan in 1872. For some time previous to his establishing the S. D. Hanchett Furniture Company he was employed as a traveling salesman. During the Civil war he was among the first to respond to the call of Lincoln for service in defense of the flag, enlisting in Company H of the First Wisconsin Infantry in 1861, continuing with his command, however, for one year only, at the expiration of which time he was honorably discharged on account of serious illness which incapacitated him for further service as a soldier in the ranks. During all his life he has been an enthusiastic and loyal member of the republican party, giving his support at all times to the policies advocated by that great political organization. He served in the office of deputy collector of customs from 1890 to 1894. His wife, Mrs. Josephine (Stoakes) Hanchett, passed out of this life January 1, 1896, and her body was interred in the family lot in Wildwood cemetery.
Milton E. Hanchett was reared in his father's home and received his early education in the public schools of Sheboygan. Upon completing his course in the common schools he pursued his studies by taking the full course in the Sheboygan Business College. After graduating from that institution he at once entered his father's employment and has since continued to be associated with this successful enterprise. For a number of years he has been one of the directors of the company and served as the general manager since January 14, 1908. On the 2nd of September, 1901, Mr. Hanchett was united in marriage to Miss Hattie Mueller, a daughter of Henry G. Mueller, one of the pioneer lumber dealers of Sheboygan. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Hanchett two children have been born, namely: Helen, born June 2, 1907, who is just beginning her education as a pupil in the kindergarten; and Rogene, born August 1O, 1911.
Since age conferred upon him the right of franchise Mr. Hanchett has supported the men and measures of the republican party, believing its principles most conducive to good government. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the First Congregational church, while fraternally he is identified with the Masons, the Knights of Pythias, the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, the Fraternal Order of Eagles, the Modem Woodmen of America and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is likewise a member of the Sheboygan Country Club and a director of Sheboygan Business Men's Association. Mr. Hanchett's business career has been confined entirely to his operations in connection with the S. D. Hanchett Furniture Company and in the service of this company he has proven himself to be a most successful and competent business man. Everywhere he is regarded as a man of strict integrity, competently and ably directing the affairs of the S. D. Hanchett Furniture Company, which is known as one of the most successful establishments of its kind in northeastern Wisconsin.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL