Rudolph A. Feistel

Among the representatives of foreign climes who, bidding farewell to native land and friends and scenes they held most dear, is Rudolph A. Feistel, who with his parents came to American shores in 1857, the father, August Feistel, having become convinced that the new world held out superior advantages to accumulate a competence. He was born February 1, 1854, in West Prussia, Germany, a son of August and Paulina (Wendel) Feistel, the former of whom was born November 7, 1821. In 1857 the father and his family, consisting of his wife and four children, on coming to America traveled to Port Washington, Wisconsin, where the family remained for a time, after which he removed to Sheboygan. By trade he was a cooper, a business which he followed all his life, passing away November 12, 1881. His wife survived her husband until the year 1905, when she passed away at the age of eighty years. In their family were nine children, only three of whom now survive: George, residing at Two Rivers, Wisconsin; August, residing in Kansas; and Rudolph, of this review.

After receiving a common school education in Wisconsin, Rudolph Feistel learned the cooper's trade and shortly afterward began operating a cooperage establishment on his own account, making a specialty of brewery barrels. In 1881 he was employed by the Schreier Brewery Company and was given charge of the repair department of its plant, in the employ of which he still remains.

Mr. Feistel was married April 18, 1879, to Miss Josephine Rubner, her birth occurring near Lake Superior. She is a daughter of Franz and Carolina (Schmalinski) Rubner, both of whom were natives of Germany. Her father was a carpenter by trade and was one of the early pioneers of Sheboygan county. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Feistel were born three children, as follows: Edwin, formerly a tailor of Colorado who is now in the United States navy and who married Isabella Wilson, by whom he has three children; August, at home; and Alfred G., deceased.

In his political faith Mr. Feistel is a democrat and has been prominent in local politics. He was elected in 1894 as an alderman of Sheboygan and served for four consecutive terms. He was again elected to the same office in 1900 and still again in 1908, and his extensive public service was characterized by the same efficiency which he displays in his business matters. He is a member of the Lutheran church in the faith of which he was reared, being prominent in the affairs of that denomination. He has for the past twelve years been president of the German Aid Society, an organization which is affiliated with the church of which he is a member. In private and in public life he has always been found at his post, actively and efficiently performing the duties which devolve upon him. He has given the strictest attention to his business matters, looking after all details with faithfulness and with close scrutiny. He has long been recognized as one of the best citizens of Sheboygan and his large circle of acquaintances without exception hold him in high esteem. The family is well and favorably known throughout the entire community and is one of the most respected in Sheboygan.


Source

Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL