William A. Erdmann, for whom the town of Erdmann was named, is one of Sheboygan county's highly enterprising and capable native sons, and one of the foremost citizens of his community in the promotion of which he has been a dominant factor. His natal day was the 16th of February, 1867, and his parents Albert and Fannie C. (Schedzsche) Erdmann. The father, who was born and reared in Germany, came to the United States at the age of sixteen years and located in California. During the succeeding four or five years he prospected in the gold fields of that state, but at the expiration of that time he returned to the old country, where he was married. Immediately following this event he brought his bride to the United States, locating on a farm in Mosel township, this county and they are still living in that vicinity.
Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Erdmann, six of whom are living, our subject being the eldest of the family. August, the next in order of birth, owns a meat market at Cleveland and in connection with the conduct of this enterprise he also engages in buying and selling stock. He is married and has four children. Charles, who was born on the 18th of December, 1869, is residing in Erdmann, where he is engaged in business with his brother, William A. He was married on the 5th of March, 1892, to Ida Mog, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs, Peter Mog, natives of Germany, and they have two daughters: Fannie, who is at home; and Lillian, who is attending school Laura and Selma, the only daughters of the family, are twins. The former married William Schreiber, a farmer of Mosel township, and has one child, while Selma became the wife of William Blanke, a blacksmith of Sheboygan, by whom she has had four children. Herman, who is married and has four children, is living on the old family homestead.
William A. Erdmann was reared at home and educated in the district schools. At the age of seventeen years he learned cheese making, which business he followed until 1892. In the latter year he bought out the saloon of Henry Zoerner, and in 1895 when the post office was established there, he was made postmaster and named the town Erdmann. He has ever since been one of the most enterprising and progressive citizens and to him must be attributed a great part of the credit for the town's development. Together with his brother, Charles J. and Mr. William F. Wagner, who are associated in business with him, he has erected a hotel, saloon, harness shop, sale stable and an implement and hardware store, all of which enterprises they are conducting most successfully. In addition to these various enterprises he and William Heermann have a real-estate office and engage in buying and selling property throughout the county and state. Mr. Erdmann has also been in the cheese business until within the last two years, having been in partnership with B. Schreiber to whom he sold his interest in the plant. He possesses more than average foresight and sagacity, and these united with strong powers of organization and executive ability enable him to carry to a successful issue anything he undertakes.
On the 15th of February, 1890, Mr. Erdmann was united in marriage to Miss Emma Toepel, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Toepel, natives of Germany, and to them have been born three children: Emily; Arthur; and Willard, who is still attending school. Mr. Erdmann and his family spend the greater part of the summer at Crystal Lake, this state, where they have a pleasant summer home, as also has his partner, William Heermann.
Information gathered and adapted from History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present
Carl Zillier, Editor
Pubished by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1912, Chicago, IL